Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Indian Announces HP and Torque Increase for 2018 TS111 Models  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Roadie

• Hero Member-10018
    • In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
Indian Announces HP and Torque Increase for 2018 TS111 Models
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:07:50 pm »
Frome Indian's online post:

Indian Motorcycle today announced that all of its 2018 models with the Thunder Stroke 111 engine have increased power and torque.

"With motorcycles now having to meet EU4 emission rules, there has been an on-going homologation process at Spirit Lake to ensure Indian offers the best products possible.

As such, for 2018, all of the Thunder Stroke 111 engined models have a 15hp increase in power and a 15Nm increase in torque (models now have 84hp and 150Nm).

Indian Motorcycle’s International Product Manager, Ben Lindaman commented: “Indian’s engineering team achieved the increase in power and torque by removing intake restrictions, equipping the bikes with better flowing exhaust, and optimising the calibration for this setup. The results are a substantial 21% power increase and an improved throaty exhaust tone as well.”

>------->  >------->  >------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    Re: Indian Announces HP and Torque Increase for 2018 TS111 Models
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:11:53 pm »
    If they had only not discontinued the Red Springfield for 2018. I would buy a 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 133

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:49:31 am »
    The description sounds like what I did to my 2014 model.  and I can feel the substantial increase in power.

Offline jayred1

• Hero Member-10018
    • Gotta love Red
    « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:53 am »
    Since this was an EMEA (European, Middle East, Africa) announcement and it was made by Indian's International Product Manager, it is undetermined (but likely) that this only applies to bikes being shipped overseas.  These bikes have additional restrictive "add-ons" to meet EU4 emission requirements.  Others have asked Indian reps this question and received a reply that references this improvement being limited to non-US bikes.  If this was truly applicable to "all" 111s, Indian would be shouting it far and wide ... and we'd be watching Indian promo videos of bikes doing amazing burnouts rather than reading a short news post.

Offline Roadie

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:09:02 pm »
    Since this was an EMEA (European, Middle East, Africa) announcement and it was made by Indian's International Product Manager, it is undetermined (but likely) that this only applies to bikes being shipped overseas.  These bikes have additional restrictive "add-ons" to meet EU4 emission requirements.  Others have asked Indian reps this question and received a reply that references this improvement being limited to non-US bikes.  If this was truly applicable to "all" 111s, Indian would be shouting it far and wide ... and we'd be watching Indian promo videos of bikes doing amazing burnouts rather than reading a short news post.
    I asked the Indian Rep that was visiting my Dealer when I stopped by yesterday at my Dealer.

He says that this applies to ALL 2018  TS111 Models.

I told him its kind of like the Stage One and Two flashes that I did on my 2015 to get more HP and Torque, all he did was smile at me with no comment.

But bet he really doesn't know crap and it means that the Euro models now match up with the models in North America on HP and Torque.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:29:17 pm by Roadie »

Offline 2ndchance

• Registered-2
    « Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »
    Took my 2015 Chieftain in to dealer for pullback handlebars install, after the pickup bike seems to run better. No, power surges starting off or when slowing down, seems to have more torque, more overall power. It's definitely running different now than it was before. Do think Indian could be applying a flash to bring prior years up to 2018 numbers without a general recall???

Offline Pocono_ACE

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:33:09 am »
    Took my 2015 Chieftain in to dealer for pullback handlebars install, after the pickup bike seems to run better. No, power surges starting off or when slowing down, seems to have more torque, more overall power. It's definitely running different now than it was before. Do think Indian could be applying a flash to bring prior years up to 2018 numbers without a general recall???

It could be the handlebars.
    John

'15 red & black Chief Classic

Gone but not forgotten:
    '01 Honda Shadow ACE 750
    '01 Yamaha Virago 250

Offline jayred1

• Hero Member-10018
    • Gotta love Red
    « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:08:53 am »

Some dealers will update if they see that an old version is on the bike, others will ask you, and others will ignore it (or charge you for it).  Now I'll prepare for the onslaught of "I didn't ask for it, don't screw with my bike - it runs terrible now" posts ...

Offline TOMCENTRAL

• Hero Member-10018
    • Viet-Nam Vet
    « Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 05:13:38 pm »
    I posted some info on another forum regarding stage 3 kits but did not post anything here yet.I did not want to cause a $hit storm but here goes.

If you notice the Stage 3 Big Bore kits only work on 2017 & up models.Sorry to say but the aforementioned years may need new heads or a different flash(I think Indian is still working out the bugs for older models) in air management with the added displacement in regards to heat & epa requirements.

Indian changed the heads on late 2016 & up models(note there is a different part number for the heads).

If you think about massaging a stock set of heads(or just a little change on the intake for mass production) & changing mechanical gear timing 2 degrees, it is possible to improve tq through out the rpm range.
    My 2017 Limited w/Lloydz mufflers, A/C  stage 1 flash w/ power vision cx pulls all the way to redline with out falling off anywhere.It feels stronger than my 2014 Chieftain stage 2 cams mufflers A/C & powervision cx.

Regards,Tom

Regards,Tom
    I tried to be reasonable once,I didn't like it!

Offline Roadie

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 07:02:30 pm »
    I posted some info on another forum regarding stage 3 kits but did not post anything here yet.I did not want to cause a $hit storm but here goes.

If you notice the Stage 3 Big Bore kits only work on 2017 & up models.Sorry to say but the aforementioned years may need new heads or a different flash(I think Indian is still working out the bugs for older models) in air management with the added displacement in regards to heat & epa requirements.

Indian changed the heads on late 2016 & up models(note there is a different part number for the heads).

If you think about massaging a stock set of heads(or just a little change on the intake for mass production) & changing mechanical gear timing 2 degrees, it is possible to improve tq through out the rpm range.
    My 2017 Limited w/Lloydz mufflers, A/C  stage 1 flash w/ power vision cx pulls all the way to redline with out falling off anywhere.It feels stronger than my 2014 Chieftain stage 2 cams mufflers A/C & powervision cx.

Regards,Tom

Regards,Tom
    Indian has already announced a 116 Big Bore Kit coming out in March for the earlier model Thunderstroke, so two different kits.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 09:13:46 pm »
    Great information as always Tom. Thanks.  8)
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline TOMCENTRAL

• Hero Member-10018
    • Viet-Nam Vet
    « Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 10:15:54 pm »
    Cool,Kevin.Thanks.

I have a little memory loss but as I remember the accessories for the Indians took a little longer than the estimated delivery date ;D

Kinda makes the term Back Rest take on new meaning.LOL!

Regards

Tom

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 07:34:03 am »
    Cool,Kevin.Thanks.

I have a little memory loss but as I remember the accessories for the Indians took a little longer than the estimated delivery date ;D

Kinda makes the term Back Rest take on new meaning.LOL!

Regards

Tom

Yeah, most people here don't know the hardships of 2013 when there was no such thing as a passenger backrest.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline TOMCENTRAL

• Hero Member-10018
    • Viet-Nam Vet
    « Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 11:27:19 am »
    Or had to deal with the OTHER forum,LOL!

Regards,Tom

Offline Imarider

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 04:03:16 pm »
    Or had to deal with the OTHER forum,LOL!

Regards,Tom
    The other forum is controlled  by Maggie now lol Its A New World Order over there.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk