Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Gear Position Sensor  (Read 238 times)

Offline Drifter

Gear Position Sensor
« on: November 05, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me where on the 111 , I would find the gear position sensor and how difficult it would be to replace on my own?

Offline AKDaniel

Re: Gear Position Sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:23:06 AM »
Evening Drifter,

This is from the 2014 Chief Service manual, but hopefully it will point you in the right direction.

In the diagram, the front of the engine is to the right.  The view is from below the engine on the exhaust side. 

Hope that helps,
Daniel

Offline Glock

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:25:11 AM »
Drifter,
           Are you sure it is the sensor, thought mine went out and it was the 10 amp breaker in fuse box.
           I unplugged it for a minute and was able to complete my vacation, finally it went out completely.
           Shop replaced under warranty, I looked up part # cost $16.00.

Good luck, mine showed all dashes on gear selector display and would not try to start.
2014 Chieftain sold
2017 Chieftain

Offline Drifter

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
Thanks AKDaniel,
It is just below the driven geared belt pulley. It is hidden behind the right rear chrome cover engine-trans cover.
The exhaust would have to be removed to remove to chrome cover. Now I see why the shop says it will take them 3 hours.
It's been acting up a lot less of late. Almost like it's healing itself. 8000 miles ago the shop did a re-flash that cured it for 2000 miles then it got progressively worse for 3000 miles but then got much better after changing the oil and resetting the oil life and now continues to improve. May just have to have to take it to an exorcist .

Offline Dan_Frisbie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »
Drifter, mine started getting "lazy" at about 20k miles. It was slow to respond to the gear changes both up and down shifting.
Once I put Amsoil in the bike, it started working properly again.

Offline Drifter

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
I had the same thoughts but I have used the same oil since new, that was 83,000 miles ago. I am also trying to figure if there is a connection to the TPS because I started getting false reading at about the same time.

Offline Dan_Frisbie

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
I had the same thoughts but I have used the same oil since new, that was 83,000 miles ago. I am also trying to figure if there is a connection to the TPS because I started getting false reading at about the same time.
I used nothing but Indian oil up until 40k. That's when I went Amsoil and the gear indicator started working.
My rear TPMS went out on the second back tire aabout 30k. Front is starting to go at 46k. TPMS batteries can't be replaced, so you have to replace the whole sensor.

Offline Drifter

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:10 PM »
I also had to replace the TPMS ,both front and rear around 30K to 40K, Then for the last 5K  they work 90% of the time , just have a mind of their own. I'm thinking it may be the receiver more that the sending unit in the wheels. Maybe a loose connection somewhere may be the cause of all my electronic info screen woes.

Offline Roadie

• In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 01:37:55 AM »
Had both the front and rear TPMS units replaced under warranty after the batteries died in each, rear around 30,000 miles and front around 38,000 miles.  The new ones have been working properly for the last 10,000 miles.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
>------->  >------->  >------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well