Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Indian Sales are Up Once Again.  (Read 887 times)

Offline bwana6

Re: Indian Sales are Up Once Again.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 03:24:59 AM »
OK......LOL..........that store apparently isn't. But St Pete FL, Lakeland FL sure are. Scottsdale AZ is tucked away on a side street, and the only one I can think of sticking out on a freeway is San Antonio TX (Boehrn TX ) and El Paso in a seedy part of the interstate. Point is, most are well out of the way compared to the competition.
The franchise fee is indeed 500K. 250K is what they want in sustainable assets. People read this wrong all the time. But check with someone who bought an Indian franchise. No idea if any lesser monies are paid by former Vic dealers converting over, ect. I spent too many years in dealer placement/distress at HD and know dealers of HD that wanted to go that route but costs were staggering. I know some families that are very heavy hitters here in AZ and in FL especially and Polaris scares them off. These are very entrenched 3rd and 4th generations that are not allergic to money. Like the Ferman Group since 1903. They probably sell a good third of all the HDs in FL now. Always looking for more $$$. Money to be reasonably returned.
I'm telling you. Read the F and Q sections about getting an Indian store. Just like on another forum someone swore up and down that the little Indian store in Scottsdale AZ was the biggest in the southwest as it claimed it on the website the store has. So we checked. Sure enough it said 'biggest Indian/Royal Enfield store in the Southwest'. Well, no shit. Really? But again, nobody reads into this. Thats like me saying I have the biggest Indian collection of motorcycles on Crystal Sky Drive in Sedona !
Geez...............look at some of these Indian stores around. Baton Rouge, the one in LA by the airport that closed now, Huntsville AL...........all holes in the wall. So why so? Franchise fee'd out? No money for location? No vetting by Indian?

I do not know what the HD store in Honolulu looks like now. They used to be dumps. Seriously. In Waipahu on Farrington by the Coronet store? Great cross over clientele, huh?  And Pacific was hidden somewhat by the airport too. But drive across I - 10 or I -40 to FL or anywhere. What do you see? Ford stores, GM stores, Toyota, and HD. Couple Indian places. But HD peppered everywhere. Maybe Polaris should gear their franchise fees like HD does. Hmmmm?  But being exclusive seems to be the key. Maybe too exclusive. LOL
I guess I admit that corporate HD ruined me on numbers and profit. Bear with me.

If I were getting an Indian franchise you can bet the farm it would be on a major intersection or freeway exit lighted up. I am not money shy and would push painted Iowa iron all day long out the door. Just want to make sure everyone around saw it. Not be tucked away and make searching GOOGLE the means to find me.  Thats all. LOL

Offline Roadie

• In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 03:39:15 AM »
OK......LOL..........that store apparently isn't. But St Pete FL, Lakeland FL sure are. Scottsdale AZ is tucked away on a side street, and the only one I can think of sticking out on a freeway is San Antonio TX (Boehrn TX ) and El Paso in a seedy part of the interstate. Point is, most are well out of the way compared to the competition.
The franchise fee is indeed 500K. 250K is what they want in sustainable assets. People read this wrong all the time. But check with someone who bought an Indian franchise. No idea if any lesser monies are paid by former Vic dealers converting over, ect. I spent too many years in dealer placement/distress at HD and know dealers of HD that wanted to go that route but costs were staggering. I know some families that are very heavy hitters here in AZ and in FL especially and Polaris scares them off. These are very entrenched 3rd and 4th generations that are not allergic to money. Like the Ferman Group since 1903. They probably sell a good third of all the HDs in FL now. Always looking for more $$$. Money to be reasonably returned.
I'm telling you. Read the F and Q sections about getting an Indian store. Just like on another forum someone swore up and down that the little Indian store in Scottsdale AZ was the biggest in the southwest as it claimed it on the website the store has. So we checked. Sure enough it said 'biggest Indian/Royal Enfield store in the Southwest'. Well, no shit. Really? But again, nobody reads into this. Thats like me saying I have the biggest Indian collection of motorcycles on Crystal Sky Drive in Sedona !
Geez...............look at some of these Indian stores around. Baton Rouge, the one in LA by the airport that closed now, Huntsville AL...........all holes in the wall. So why so? Franchise fee'd out? No money for location? No vetting by Indian?

I do not know what the HD store in Honolulu looks like now. They used to be dumps. Seriously. In Waipahu on Farrington by the Coronet store? Great cross over clientele, huh?  And Pacific was hidden somewhat by the airport too. But drive across I - 10 or I -40 to FL or anywhere. What do you see? Ford stores, GM stores, Toyota, and HD. Couple Indian places. But HD peppered everywhere. Maybe Polaris should gear their franchise fees like HD does. Hmmmm?  But being exclusive seems to be the key. Maybe too exclusive. LOL
I guess I admit that corporate HD ruined me on numbers and profit. Bear with me.

If I were getting an Indian franchise you can bet the farm it would be on a major intersection or freeway exit lighted up. I am not money shy and would push painted Iowa iron all day long out the door. Just want to make sure everyone around saw it. Not be tucked away and make searching GOOGLE the means to find me.  Thats all. LOL

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

>------->  >------->  >------->

Offline Fire Chieftain

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 07:00:12 AM »
Certainly have to agree....like the old saying goes.....it's all about location, location location!!!! Of the six dealerships I have visited only one was within eye shot of a major interstate. All but one was renovated to the required standards both exterior and interior. Employees were curtious and helpful at most. The dealerhip in Northern Kentucky was the hardest for me to locate.....drove by it twice before noticing it a few hundred yards off a secondary road. Nice shop, friendly staff, just hard to find.

Like others here, I want to see the dealership numbers continue to increase. Would really like to have one closer that I could trust would be open when I go there.....the one closest to me has been closed 3 out of the 6 times I have traveled there which is about an hour. Hence, the reason the dealerhip I do most business with is 2.5 hours away. Pretty much requires a vacation day if doing any service on the bike as it's 5 hours of road time.

Wish I had a few million of disposable income....LOL.

Offline ThreeChiefs

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
Ahhhh..............you better check. Its 500K up front plus the building and whatever PLUS the fender and fireplace scenario.

You may be confused with Victory franchise fees. indian is 500K all day long no matter where. Some people have tried to play 'lets make a deal' with Polaris and got nowhere. There are NO Indian stores in money rich Sarasota FL, Naples FL ( largest Cadillac store E of the Mississippi )........Tampa FL...........and ONE store in LA with 19 million people. Why? The start up is heavy and people are hesitant on Indian future but are becoming a little more relaxed there as the stats show growth.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/become-a-dealer

Indian wants 250K in liquid assets to even get the ball going. In other words, no friends at banks to OK a 500K business loan for a franchise fee. You have to have some clout behind you because if you go sideways, you will be hurt also. Not just the Indian/Polaris goodwill.
Those liquid assets mean you are somewhat substantial in Indians eyes. I can see that.
Now if you think 250K mark is the magic number than I suggest a Subway franchise that used to be much cheaper. Or a Papa Johns. That will get you the equipment and franchise rights. Now the building.
So do homework first before the BS jab.

I think it's you that needs to read it carefully. There is no franchise fee and there is no way to pre-judge what you'll need to remodel a building. The 250K is working capital not inventory dollars. If you start thinking what the bikes, parts, clothing, and accessories cost $250K won't get you very far with inventory. You'll still a bank line of at least twice that amount to stock the place, that is unless you happen to have a million dollars laying around. If you did I could suggest a lot better places to put it than a motorcycle dealership.
2016 Vintage with Hannigan sidecar
2014 Indian Chieftain #3274
1946 Indian Chief Roadmaster

AMCA member
Patriot Guard Asst State Captain

“Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching"

Offline bwana6

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
OK............lets revert back to basic remedial reading and word comprehension. Franchise fees are what is charged on a monthly basis as a percentage of what you make. McDonald's franchisee owners pay about 12% back to McDonalds, Subway around 8% last time I checked. These are franchise fees. Indian, Ford, HD, nearly everyone does not charge these. These are mainly for fast food and GNC stores, ect.

The 250K is needed for ( now read it again ) sustainable capital. This is money in reserve if you need to fall back on your expenses that are not generated by the store itself. They want at least 250K liquid ( as stated ) for this reason. Next comes purchasing the franchise or rights to have it. It is 500K. Now comes the building and the way Indian wants it set up. Fireplace, Indian fender, repo oil cans, books, paneling, ect. Most are over 1M at this point. If there were NO franchise fees you would see every third garage in the country an Indian store.
What is the truth here is simply the cash outlay for a product that many think may still be in limbo. I feel it is here to stay for awhile but many owning other vehicle franchises do not share the same thought. Its a gamble in their minds and not saying either way if it is. I would want a strong Japanese backup or front liner as the mainstay if I chose to go the Indian route as a cushion.
Not trying to mess with you here. Indians is cut and dried and others like HD are on a regional basis. If they want someone to come in and take over a store due to a death or divorce ( and yes that happens a lot ) they may waive the initial purchase franchise fee is the dealer is already a strong proven seller and his BBB ratings are good and he is not on the sheriff's website or generates sales on whatever he is currently selling. Another candidate may be charged a nominal fee of like 100K for example. For same store. But ALL want sustainable money that is not tied into the store just like Indian states. The 250K. And yes, no franchise fees. Just a one time franchise purchase along with what Indian wants. Notice all Indian stores have the same display? Existing buildings have a big advantage. Have parts racks in place, mechanics stalls, showroom all there. But to start off with a pure Indian franchise, it is tough for those even with money.
I have not checked in about a year for the last decade the most sought after stores in the transportation industry were Honda automobiles and HD for motorcycles. You are guaranteed sales and activity in both of those. Some have become very lax, especially HD points, and are better off hiring 7 or 8 chimps to do the selling. Honda cars sell themselves. So chimps there may be a good way to save costs.

My last 10 years with HD were in dealer placement. Dealer distress, dealer locations, dealer sales, dealer customer satisfaction scores, and dealer allocations. I know Polaris different but many things are the same here. Its bad enough that a few Indian stores are run by money deep pocket people that never sat on a motorcycle. I am sure HD has its share. But some of the largest points are run by people that never rode a motorcycle before they bought into a franchise and have turned it into a huge success ( Scottsdale HD owned by the GoDaddy CEO ). But trust me here..............there is a healthy franchise fee for Indian and there needs to be proven 'need to live on if necessary' funds like their 250K sustainable capital part. Most people do not have 250 liquid in their portfolio. 250K that they can put aside before you start talking numbers anyways.

HD and Burger King and all the big players need visibility/location. Try I - 4 in central FL between Tampa and Orlando. Thats like high 500 thousand people going by everyday by a freeway exit. Arby's jumps on those locations and pieces of land now. I would guess that a run of the mill Arbys could cost someone more than a damn motorcycle store now with land and all.

Good discussion...............good thread

Offline ThreeChiefs

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »
Apparently Indian doesn't realize they charge a franchise fee.

From the "Become a dealer" at indianmotorcycle.com".

DOES INDIAN MOTORCYCLE® CHARGE A FRANCHISE FEE?
Indian Motorcycle® does not charge a franchise fee. All of our dealers are independent business owners. Each dealer operates under an agreement to retail and service Indian Motorcycle® products.

Some people go to great lengths to explain why they're not wrong...when they are.

AMCA member

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
    • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
Great find Mike.  8)
Kevin 
Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
2015 Indian Roadmaster - Indian Red
2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline adamus

• Always looking to ride
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 12:16:50 AM »
Apparently Indian doesn't realize they charge a franchise fee.

From the "Become a dealer" at indianmotorcycle.com".

DOES INDIAN MOTORCYCLE CHARGE A FRANCHISE FEE?
Indian Motorcycle does not charge a franchise fee. All of our dealers are independent business owners. Each dealer operates under an agreement to retail and service Indian Motorcycle products.

Some people go to great lengths to explain why they're not wrong...when they are.
🤣 hilarious!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:) Chieftain makes my day!!! :)

Offline bwana6

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
Reads what a franchise fee is. Its a royalty paid ( most monthly ) BACK to tcorporate on what is sold that month. McDonalds used to be 8% EVERY month but it is hoigher now and that is a franchise fee. Indian states that there are NO corporate stores and each dealer is an independent owner. Thats all true. Now to get the Indian name one must buy the franchise rights to an exclusive territory and that is 500K with more money going into a building and parts and the srt - up Indian wants. Like the fireplace, the repro oil cans, the front fender on a stand, ect. But no franchise fees after that. What you make, you make. Some here better stick to their WalMart jobs...........LOL
If Indian charged NO franchise rights fee............then there would be dealers all over LA instead of ONE and many places would be a block away from each other. Instead, by purchasing an Indian franchise ( and not talking fee's monthly or quarterly ) one can reasonably be protected within a certain mileage area ( distance ) from the other stores. This is done by population and/or distance or a combination. Very easy to understand. Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Mercedes, ect., all do not charge franchise fees. Fast food places usually do. But you have to BUY the franchise right.............not a franchise fee...........to get started.
This fee along with not knowing where Polaris is headed ( just yet ) is why there is hesitation in buying these franchises. In many areas. HD rights are based on location and PRIOR HD dealer relations. There is no set price like Indian. One HD store, for example Daytona FL, may be a $1M franchise right buy while another rural area maybe 100K or even way less if an established dealer with great HD relations took it over. Lots of politics. Indian is cut and dried.
Ask your dealer principal, not the sales manager or the lot porter, what he paid for his store. Better be sitting down when he does. No wonder a 500 mile inspection/oil change is so friggen high.

Offline Roadie

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »

Offline RedChieftain

• Is motorcycling great, or what! :)
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
Thanks Roadie.  Good stuff.
Think about donating blood, regularly.  It is desperately needed and it keeps folks alive!  Thank you

Offline adamus

• Always looking to ride
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:28 PM »
:) Chieftain makes my day!!! :)

Offline ThreeChiefs

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 02:09:48 PM »
Reads what a franchise fee is. Its a royalty paid ( most monthly ) BACK to tcorporate on what is sold that month. McDonalds used to be 8% EVERY month but it is hoigher now and that is a franchise fee. Indian states that there are NO corporate stores and each dealer is an independent owner. Thats all true. Now to get the Indian name one must buy the franchise rights to an exclusive territory and that is 500K with more money going into a building and parts and the srt - up Indian wants. Like the fireplace, the repro oil cans, the front fender on a stand, ect. But no franchise fees after that. What you make, you make. Some here better stick to their WalMart jobs...........LOL
If Indian charged NO franchise rights fee............then there would be dealers all over LA instead of ONE and many places would be a block away from each other. Instead, by purchasing an Indian franchise ( and not talking fee's monthly or quarterly ) one can reasonably be protected within a certain mileage area ( distance ) from the other stores. This is done by population and/or distance or a combination. Very easy to understand. Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Mercedes, ect., all do not charge franchise fees. Fast food places usually do. But you have to BUY the franchise right.............not a franchise fee...........to get started.
This fee along with not knowing where Polaris is headed ( just yet ) is why there is hesitation in buying these franchises. In many areas. HD rights are based on location and PRIOR HD dealer relations. There is no set price like Indian. One HD store, for example Daytona FL, may be a $1M franchise right buy while another rural area maybe 100K or even way less if an established dealer with great HD relations took it over. Lots of politics. Indian is cut and dried.
Ask your dealer principal, not the sales manager or the lot porter, what he paid for his store. Better be sitting down when he does. No wonder a 500 mile inspection/oil change is so friggen high.

Okay you're right and Indian is wrong. http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/become-a-dealer

You go to great lengths to try and convince people you're some kind of business guru. My guess is you've never signed the front of a paycheck and you're just another Internet BS artist.

AMCA member

Offline Roadie

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 03:38:38 PM »

Okay you're right and Indian is wrong. http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/become-a-dealer

You go to great lengths to try and convince people you're some kind of business guru. My guess is you've never signed the front of a paycheck and you're just another Internet BS artist.
He got banned and removed from the other major Indian Forum, wonder why ?

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
    • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 05:17:07 PM »

He got banned and removed from the other major Indian Forum, wonder why ?

There's another Indian forum?  8)
Kevin 
Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
2015 Indian Roadmaster - Indian Red
2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry