Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: First Test Drive  (Read 8896 times)

Offline ThreeChiefs

• Hero Member-10018
Re: First Test Drive
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 09:26:59 am »
I have the wind deflectors and Sagebrush soft lowers on my Chieftain. The deflectors stopped the wind from coming up toward my face. Keeps me motoring in the winter on PGR missions.
2018 Chieftain Limited
1946 Indian Chief Roadmaster

AMCA member
Patriot Guard Ride Captain

“Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching"

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline Senior Chief Vintage

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 10:41:22 am »
    I am very disappointed with the lower wind deflectors on my Vintage. Did NOT stop rain or wind buffeting. Took back off and put in closet.
    2014 Chief Vintage #0217
           Springfield Blue

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 10:47:54 am »
    I live about 12 miles from Indian Greensboro in Greensboro, North Carolina. I even know the owner of the dealership. Very good people to deal with. Call them up and buy over the phone. I am sure you can find some trucking company that would pick it up for you. If you want me to test ride it for you just let me know. LOL!! Tell them that Ronnie McBride said to give you a good deal!!

Probably great people to work with, thank you. But by the time I added shipping it would be the same price, or maybe a little more.

But........if the bike locally gets sold before I buy it I might just be contacting Greensboro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 10:55:26 am »
    I am very disappointed with the lower wind deflectors on my Vintage. Did NOT stop rain or wind buffeting. Took back off and put in closet.

I’m wondering why the lowers work for some but not others.

I was messaging with another rider who had the recurved windshield and lowers but on long rides it didn’t work for him so he bought a Chieftain.

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 10:17:56 am »
    Is there a break in period for the 111 engine where you have to keep it under a certain speed until the engine has so many miles? I did a quick search in the 2017 manual that I downloaded. It mentions a 500 mile break in service but I didn’t see an engine break in period.

Offline Fire Chieftain

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 11:33:28 am »
    Believe you will find many varying opinions on this subject. Everything from ride it like you stole it, to run it like you will be riding it, to the text book type which is typically vary the RPMs, keep them under a certain level until the first service and do the service at the recommended intervals.

I recall reading the same 500 miles information which I take as Indian saying that is the "break in period".

Take care and be safe.

PS- I tried to follow the text book break in recommendation.  ::)

Offline ThreeChiefs

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #51 on: November 04, 2017, 11:51:45 am »
    One of the primary things is to vary the RPM. I brought mine home on a trailer so I wouldn't be running down the interstate at 65 with a brand new engine.
    2018 Chieftain Limited
    1946 Indian Chief Roadmaster

AMCA member
    Patriot Guard Ride Captain

“Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching"

Offline 133

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #52 on: November 04, 2017, 11:59:24 pm »
    The new engine also has a special break-in oil - change it after the 500 mile break-in period and replace it with the oil recommended in the manual.

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 04:17:02 am »
    Believe you will find many varying opinions on this subject. Everything from ride it like you stole it, to run it like you will be riding it, to the text book type which is typically vary the RPMs, keep them under a certain level until the first service and do the service at the recommended intervals.

I recall reading the same 500 miles information which I take as Indian saying that is the "break in period".

Take care and be safe.

I guess I’m use to the manufacturer saying what needs to be done instead of the owners trying to figure it out for themselves.  This is strange. Every vehicle I have owned (car and motorcycle) spelled it out. Even if there was no brake in needed the manual would say something. I’m one of those weird people who read the owners manual.

Offline adamus

• Sr. Member-10017
    • Always looking to ride
    « Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 05:38:21 pm »
    Ok, so I was excited today because I got to drive an Indian Springfield for the first time at the Indian dealer. It had been over a year since I’ve been on a bike and it sure felt good.

I test drove a red Indian Springfield, beautiful bike! I loved the red with all the chrome.

I have a question though....

I was a little surprised by the throttle response. It seemed very sluggish to me. My last bike was a 88 ci Road Glide and it seemed to have better throttle response than the 111 which really surprised me. I know it’s been a little over a year since I’ve been on a bike and it took me a few minutes to get used to the different clutch feel as well. On the bike the moment I moved the clutch just a fraction of an inch the bike started moving.

Could the sluggish feeling be because it might need a flash update? Or maybe it’s been so long since I’ve been on a bike I just forgot how it felt?

I still want to test drive a Chieftain.

It felt great riding again....

Thanks again for any input.

It’s the way the ECU is flashed. A large % of throttle twist equates to a minimal throttle plate movement. You can thank the government for such stringent specs on the bikes.

The problem can easily solved. Buy a PVCX from Fuelmoto then talk to them about getting the proper map & the problem will be solved. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :) Chieftain makes my day!!! :)

Offline 133

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »

Take care and be safe.

I guess I’m use to the manufacturer saying what needs to be done instead of the owners trying to figure it out for themselves.  This is strange. Every vehicle I have owned (car and motorcycle) spelled it out. Even if there was no brake in needed the manual would say something. I’m one of those weird people who read the owners manual.

I thought the owners' manual was very clear...

The Owners' Manual for the 2014 Indian Chief and Chieftain, Page 67, states the following:

Engine Break-In
    The engine break-in period for your motorcycle is the first
    500 miles (800 km) of operation. During this break-in
    period, critical engine parts require special wear-in
    procedures so they seat and mate properly. Read,
    understand and follow all break-in procedures to ensure the
    long-term performance and durability of your engine.
    NOTICE: Failure to properly follow the engine break-in procedures
    outlined in this manual can result in serious damage to the
    engine. Follow all break-in procedures carefully. Avoid full
    throttle operation and other conditions that may place an
    excessive load on the engine during the break-in period.
    The more cautiously you treat your motorcycle during the
    break-in period, the more satisfied you will be with its
    performance later on. Overloading the engine at low RPM
    and/or running the engine prematurely at high RPM may
    result in damage to the pistons and/or other engine
    components.
    Observe the following precautions during the break-in
    period:
    • Upon initial start-up, do not allow the engine to idle for
    long periods as overheating can occur. See page 70.
    • Avoid fast starts with wide open throttle. Drive slowly until
    the engine warms up.
    • Avoid running the engine at extremely low RPM in higher
    gears (lugging the engine).
    • Drive within the recommended operating speeds and
    gears. See page 68.

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    First Test Drive
    « Reply #56 on: November 06, 2017, 09:51:21 am »

Take care and be safe.

PS- I tried to follow the text book break in recommendation. 

I thought the owners' manual was very clear...

The Owners' Manual for the 2014 Indian Chief and Chieftain, Page 67, states the following:

Engine Break-In
    The engine break-in period for your motorcycle is the first
    500 miles (800 km) of operation. During this break-in
    period, critical engine parts require special wear-in
    procedures so they seat and mate properly. Read,
    understand and follow all break-in procedures to ensure the
    long-term performance and durability of your engine.
    NOTICE: Failure to properly follow the engine break-in procedures
    outlined in this manual can result in serious damage to the
    engine. Follow all break-in procedures carefully. Avoid full
    throttle operation and other conditions that may place an
    excessive load on the engine during the break-in period.
    The more cautiously you treat your motorcycle during the
    break-in period, the more satisfied you will be with its
    performance later on. Overloading the engine at low RPM
    and/or running the engine prematurely at high RPM may
    result in damage to the pistons and/or other engine
    components.
    Observe the following precautions during the break-in
    period:
    • Upon initial start-up, do not allow the engine to idle for
    long periods as overheating can occur. See page 70.
    • Avoid fast starts with wide open throttle. Drive slowly until
    the engine warms up.
    • Avoid running the engine at extremely low RPM in higher
    gears (lugging the engine).
    • Drive within the recommended operating speeds and
    gears. See page 68.

Thank you. I did a quick look in the back of the 2017 manual and only saw a reference to the break in service. I’ll go to page 68 and review it.

I might be buying the Springfield from a dealer that is a couple hours away by freeway and I was concerned if I it was OK to take it on the freeway for that long with a brand new engine or if I should truck it home until the engine is broken in.

Found it. Page 91 and 92 in the 2017 manual.

So according to the words in the manual there is nothing that I see that says you can’t ride at highway speeds on a new engine for extended periods of time. Do you think that is correct and I shouldn’t be concerned riding for two hours on the freeway with a new engine as long as I shift according to the chart?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:12:06 am by Gearset807 »

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #57 on: November 06, 2017, 04:12:49 pm »
    Banging it down the interstate is not the best way to break it in in my opinion. I would recommend taking the 3 hour secondary road route home for the initial ride. Vary the throttle position, engine load, and speed more and have more time to enjoy your new machine and get used to it. Ride it around the secondary roads near home for a week or two and then take the same route back to the dealer for the 500 mile service.

Save the freeway speeds for after the engine has had a chance for everything to get seated. In the long run you'll be glad you did.

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #58 on: November 06, 2017, 09:48:33 pm »
    Banging it down the interstate is not the best way to break it in in my opinion. I would recommend taking the 3 hour secondary road route home for the initial ride. Vary the throttle position, engine load, and speed more and have more time to enjoy your new machine and get used to it. Ride it around the secondary roads near home for a week or two and then take the same route back to the dealer for the 500 mile service.

Save the freeway speeds for after the engine has had a chance for everything to get seated. In the long run you'll be glad you did.

Agreed 100%.  8)
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    First Test Drive
    « Reply #59 on: November 07, 2017, 09:00:07 am »

That is along the way that I was thinking. When I bought my new 2004 Road Glide the owners manual spells out no freeway driving for so many miles so I took surface streets home from the dealer (though I wasn’t over 100 miles away from home like I would be now if I purchase where I found the Springfield). Even my new Challenger’s owners manual said no freeway for the first 60 and then don’t go over 55 for a few hundred after that. It felt uncomfortable going 55 in the slow lane with everyone going around me in a muscle car but I stuck to it for the sake of the engine.

I wonder why Indian doesn’t give the same type of recommendations for their motorcycles in their owners manual. If someone knows where it is and I missed it let me know. In the mean time I’ll either take surface streets or rent a truck to bring her home.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:12:22 am by Gearset807 »