Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Power loss after reflash/recall  (Read 1047 times)

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

Re: Power loss after reflash/recall
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »
After the recall reflash I felt no loss of power at all. What I did notice was a difference in throttle position vs power output. In my case I really liked the difference, because I have always used throttle input in turns as part of my regular riding style. Before the reflash, it felt like an on/off switch, with very little happening in the first few degrees of grip rotation, then a sudden spike in the next few degrees, and then very gradual change over the remainder of travel. This made throttle position changes in turns a little unnerving, to say the least. After the reflash the throttle response is very linear from idle to WOT, which works much better for my riding style.

We used to installed 1/4 turn throttles to get the carb opened up quicker when I started riding in the 70s. With absolutely no other modifications having quicker throttle response felt like a significant power gain to us, even though it was an illusion. I'm convinced the opposite is happening here, and maybe you folks who think you've lost power just need to learn to twist the throttle farther.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:14:33 PM by WhizzbangK.C. »

Offline m0b00st

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 09:40:33 PM »
After the recall reflash I felt no loss of power at all. What I did notice was a difference in throttle position vs power output. In my case I really liked the difference, because I have always used throttle input in turns as part of my regular riding style. Before the reflash, it felt like an on/off switch, with very little happening in the first few degrees of grip rotation, then a sudden spike in the next few degrees, and then very gradual change over the remainder of travel. This made throttle position changes in turns a little unnerving, to say the least. After the reflash the throttle response is very linear from idle to WOT, which works much better for my riding style.

We used to installed 1/4 turn throttles to get the carb opened up quicker when I started riding in the 70s. With absolutely no other modifications having quicker throttle response felt like a significant power gain to us, even though it was an illusion. I'm convinced the opposite is happening here, and maybe you folks who think you've lost power just need to learn to twist the throttle farther.
You literally just said the throttle response was better down low meaning that there is less turn needed, then tried to insult everyone by telling us we need to learn to twist more!?!  Which is it smart guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bwana6

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
Sounds like there is no 'wheelie factor' in the twist throttle now.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »

You literally just said the throttle response was better down low meaning that there is less turn needed, then tried to insult everyone by telling us we need to learn to twist more!?!  Which is it smart guy?

You still here? You still have problems with reading and comprehension I see. Unlike you, I didn't insult anyone. Read it again, dumb guy.

Oh, and do me a favor, don't ever respond again to any post I may make. While your at it, do yourself a favor and don't try to prove yourself smart, the fail is painful to watch. Just sayin'  8)

Offline m0b00st

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »

You still here? You still have problems with reading and comprehension I see. Unlike you, I didn't insult anyone. Read it again, dumb guy.

Oh, and do me a favor, don't ever respond again to any post I may make. While your at it, do yourself a favor and don't try to prove yourself smart, the fail is painful to watch. Just sayin'  8)
Can't comprehend your own post, classic Whizzbang...

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

Can't comprehend your own post, classic Whizzbang...

I don't engage idiots anymore, go troll someone else.

Offline open1mind

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »

After speaking with the dealer, he says that he done the reflash on many bikes- and I am only the second one to mention a power loss.  He asked to first try reflashing it again- which will happen later this week. 

Stay tune...

So- I had the bike reflashed successfully.  From what I can tell, that did the trick. It seems to perform as it did prior to the update and I am satisfied that it is resolved. 
2014 Indian Vintage Springfield Blue
1982 Yamaha 750 Maxim (mint)
1979 Suzuki GS1000e (mint)
2007 Victory Hammer Premium- Mods, Nasty
2010 Triumph Thruxton- Some mods, cafe