Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Roadmaster Classic Trunk on Vintage?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Bonifax

• Registered-2
Roadmaster Classic Trunk on Vintage?
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:58:43 pm »
Hi, has anyone succeeded on installing a Roadmaster Classic Trunk on a Vintage?

If so, I would kindly ask for the proper part numbers, I don't really know what the proper trunk base is and if different spools are needed too.

The picture for the trunk base No. 2882297 listed as the correct one for the Roadmaster Classic leather trunk on the Indian Motorcycle web site is different than the one you can see on the Roadmaster Classic's pictures, hence my doubts.

And I would like to know if the Spools listed for the Roadmaster Classic (No. 5452656) would fit the Chief Vintage leather saddlebags.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline m0b00st

• Hero Member-10018
    Roadmaster Classic Trunk on Vintage?
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 03:51:11 am »
    Vintage and Cheiftain/Roadmaster use different spools. Therefore, the bags and other accessories are not interchangeable, unless the spools are changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patjr1957

• Hero Member-10018
    Re: Roadmaster Classic Trunk on Vintage?
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:03:34 am »

Not sure of the part numbers since I used my Roadmaster truck off my other bike. But one thing you will need to change is the shock. I bought a take off airshock off of a trike build on eBay. You will need this for the extra weight load.

Offline LostHillbilly

• Registered-2
    « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 01:21:06 pm »
    I keep thinking about going this route.  I've got the vintage tan leather, and so far I haven't come across many options that I love. 

Offline Bonifax

• Registered-2
    « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 12:07:05 am »

Not sure of the part numbers since I used my Roadmaster truck off my other bike. But one thing you will need to change is the shock. I bought a take off airshock off of a trike build on eBay. You will need this for the extra weight load.

Oh man that is a sweet ride!
    I was searching here at the forum and found out that I can get the spool sleeves from Osprey or use some sort of wrapping to make the chief vintage spools thicker. Buying the touring thicker spools is not an option because they can not accept the vintage saddlebags. I really think that Polaris should have made the spools equal all over the chief/touring range.

Offline Patjr1957

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 04:01:51 am »

Oh man that is a sweet ride!
    I was searching here at the forum and found out that I can get the spool sleeves from Osprey or use some sort of wrapping to make the chief vintage spools thicker. Buying the touring thicker spools is not an option because they can not accept the vintage saddlebags. I really think that Polaris should have made the spools equal all over the chief/touring range.
    Yes the osprey system of their spools and sleeves are nice way to go. Can run either leather or trunk this way plus the osprey spools are more secure with a bolt holding your leather bags on instead of Indian's rubber plunger setup.

Offline New User Name

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »
    Vintage and Cheiftain/Roadmaster use different spools. Therefore, the bags and other accessories are not interchangeable, unless the spools are changed.

You are correct but the Roadmaster Classic uses the leather saddlebags like the Vintage. Therefore one must assume they use the same spools and the RM Classic leather trunk should fit in the Vintage.  Has anybody verified this yet?

Patjr1957 used the hard trunk off his regular RM to put on another Indian with hard bags, so they both used the other spools.  Cool looking setup, by the way.
    « Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:37:08 pm by New User Name »

Offline m0b00st

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:22:35 pm »

You are correct but the Roadmaster Classic uses the leather saddlebags like the Vintage. Therefore one must assume they use the same spools and the RM Classic leather trunk should fit in the Vintage.  Has anybody verified this yet?

Patjr1957 used the hard trunk off his regular RM to put on another Indian with hard bags, so they both used the other spools.  Cool looking setup, by the way.
    Good catch, I forgot about the RMC having leather bags.  My answer may not be applicable to his situation after all.

Offline New User Name

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 02:23:05 pm »
    Rat-Werks makes very cool spool adapters for only $99.99

From their website:

"Description:
    These were made so that you can fit a Tour Pack onto your Vintage, Classic or Darkhorse and still keep your leather bags. The Adaptors fit over the "small" spools that are used with the stock Indian leather bags."

https://ratwerxusa.com/collections/chief-1/products/spool-adaptors?variant=15238415619

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:25:39 pm by New User Name »

Offline Gearset807

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 11:16:24 am »

Great looking ride! Where did you get the speakers on your handlebars and do you like them?

Gearset807

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Patjr1957

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 01:25:34 pm »

I bout on amazon and they work great! Plenty loud at a great price. Easy to install. Make sure you order the model that is for 1.5” diameter handlebars.

Offline builderjv

• Registered-2
    « Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:13 pm »
    I keep thinking about going this route.  I've got the vintage tan leather, and so far I haven't come across many options that I love.

Do what I did, traded my 14 Vintage in on a 17 Roadmaster ICON. Plenty of storage now.  And no more dying leather.
    2014 Chief Vintage Red (traded)
    2017 Roadmaster ICON Red/Black