Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Deer Whistle Experience  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Dean E

Re: Deer Whistle Experience
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 05:31:41 PM »
Myth Busters from Discovery Channel did a show about deer whistles.  The whole thing was proved to be pure myth and just a scam.  If there was truly something out there that helped with deer I would jump to the front of the line.  I have had too many close calls with those road rats!  Missouri is full of them.  Dean

Offline keagon12

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 08:25:22 AM »
Last year, someone posted a product, a deer whistle, for us to look at. www.xp3hornet.com. We had the usual discussion with plenty of opinions. I bought one and here's my review. Right from the front is my disclaimer. I can't PROVE this product works and I absolutely understand any and all skepticism about such products. I can only give my OWN experience and opinion. The deer whistle emits an audible, high pitched squeal which you CAN hear while riding the bike, although not too much at highway speed. You get used to it. I bought the "motorcycle wiring kit" with it that comes with a "microswitch", i.e. a very small toggle switch. Now, as to whether it works or not. Hmmmmmm...., like I said, there is no way for me to prove it does. But, it SEEMS to have made a difference. I live in a county of my state that has one of the highest populations of deer around, in a state that I believe is third in deer population. I've hit deer TWICE at speed on my bikes, and as anybody will tell you, I don't reccomend it. A few years back, I basically quit riding at night at ALL, as it just wasn't worth the risk. But I still saw plenty of deer in the daytime. I ride a lot, (40 K in two years) and I regularly saw deer at least a couple of times a month. I averaged a "close call" at least twice a year! I've now been riding with the deer whistle for more than a year. In that time, I've only seen deer three times. And that includes a cross Canada trip and back. AGAIN, I can not  prove that this isn't only a COINCIDENCE! And I don't have ANY affiliation with this company. I am only speaking of a product I bought and SEEMS to work. Hell, maybe I'll smack a deer TOMMORROW!. But as someone who loves to ride, and has had those damn deer ruin my riding experience, I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who might want to burn up a $100 for a chance to improve their odds.
Because I have never read certain facts that prove that they work I personally don't see the need for them. I'm a professional truck driver have been for over 35 years.I have been riding a motorcycle for over 47 years in either case riding at night even on dark roads I do not use my high beams high beam seem to trigger the deer and make them excited. Another thing I do not do to excite the deer is the change my speed whether it be plunging the brake pedal on a tractor trailer with the air brakes that makes the noise or slowing down the bike changing the RPM. I know it seems gutsy but if the deer are brave enough to feed alongside the road it's because they're used to it. From my personal experience the only time you're going to have a trouble with deer is if they're on a dead run or if they get excited and spooked because the high beams being on and the changing of the sound of the Vehicles near them. I mentioned earlier that I'm a professional driver and have nearly 3 million miles with no accidents.On the motorcycle I've ridden over hundreds of thousands of miles and again no issues. And yes I do ride at night.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Offline Roadie

• In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
Last year, someone posted a product, a deer whistle, for us to look at. www.xp3hornet.com. We had the usual discussion with plenty of opinions. I bought one and here's my review. Right from the front is my disclaimer. I can't PROVE this product works and I absolutely understand any and all skepticism about such products. I can only give my OWN experience and opinion. The deer whistle emits an audible, high pitched squeal which you CAN hear while riding the bike, although not too much at highway speed. You get used to it. I bought the "motorcycle wiring kit" with it that comes with a "microswitch", i.e. a very small toggle switch. Now, as to whether it works or not. Hmmmmmm...., like I said, there is no way for me to prove it does. But, it SEEMS to have made a difference. I live in a county of my state that has one of the highest populations of deer around, in a state that I believe is third in deer population. I've hit deer TWICE at speed on my bikes, and as anybody will tell you, I don't reccomend it. A few years back, I basically quit riding at night at ALL, as it just wasn't worth the risk. But I still saw plenty of deer in the daytime. I ride a lot, (40 K in two years) and I regularly saw deer at least a couple of times a month. I averaged a "close call" at least twice a year! I've now been riding with the deer whistle for more than a year. In that time, I've only seen deer three times. And that includes a cross Canada trip and back. AGAIN, I can not  prove that this isn't only a COINCIDENCE! And I don't have ANY affiliation with this company. I am only speaking of a product I bought and SEEMS to work. Hell, maybe I'll smack a deer TOMMORROW!. But as someone who loves to ride, and has had those damn deer ruin my riding experience, I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who might want to burn up a $100 for a chance to improve their odds.
Because I have never read certain facts that prove that they work I personally don't see the need for them. I'm a professional truck driver have been for over 35 years.I have been riding a motorcycle for over 47 years in either case riding at night even on dark roads I do not use my high beams high beam seem to trigger the deer and make them excited. Another thing I do not do to excite the deer is the change my speed whether it be plunging the brake pedal on a tractor trailer with the air brakes that makes the noise or slowing down the bike changing the RPM. I know it seems gutsy but if the deer are brave enough to feed alongside the road it's because they're used to it. From my personal experience the only time you're going to have a trouble with deer is if they're on a dead run or if they get excited and spooked because the high beams being on and the changing of the sound of the Vehicles near them. I mentioned earlier that I'm a professional driver and have nearly 3 million miles with no accidents.On the motorcycle I've ridden over hundreds of thousands of miles and again no issues. And yes I do ride at night.

Agree, I live in the most deer population concentration in the US flper the Texas Wildlife Department and have experienced the same as you.

Deer whistles have not worked for anyone that I know who have tried them of any style or tight deer in the Texas Hill Country.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

>------->  >------->  >------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

Offline keagon12

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 04:00:45 AM »
I drive for a trucking company and we did a small group study back in 1991. Our findings were that the driver's who had deer whistles mounted on their trucks struck or came close to striking a deer were the same as those trucks without deer whistles. We did this study while running across Interstate 80 from Ohio State line to New Jersey state line during the month of October. Our findings were if deer were grazing along the interstate. We we're safe. If something spooked them from the woods or if a driver braked (air brakes) or flashed high beems on the deer. The deer were more likely to run. At that point it became very dangerous because the deer would take off in any direction. Basically no thought process. So the three things that were stressed after our stud was completed were. 1) If you see deer just standing along the road with their heads down, eating don't try to get their attention by blowing horn. 2) Don't touch the air brakes. 3) don't switch on the high beems. After presenting our findings and sharing this info to our drivers our deer incident ratio dropped significantly​. I don't remember the exact percentage. I want to say 8%, but I don't remember for certain. And one more thing just for laughs. Who takes the time to train a deer to run away from a deer whistles. Like you would train a dog to come to the whistle. Just say's!