Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Will All Indian Motorcycles have CBS  (Read 293 times)

Offline Roadie

• In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
Will All Indian Motorcycles have CBS
« on: December 01, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »
Many countries around the world are not only requiring ABS, but also CBS (combined braking system) on Motorcycles.

Now Australia is requiring that starting in late 2019, since Indian sells there and Europe, will Indian models in a few years include CBS along with the ABS they now offer Worldwide ?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/new-braking-requirements-for-motorbikes/news-story/73098f142f9441273b387dbbb830c68b 

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

>------->  >------->  >------->

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
    • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
Re: Will All Indian Motorcycles have CBS
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »
I'm not a fan of too many government rules but as a feature it's a no-brainer to have linked brakes. The Vision had linked brakes since the original 2008 model.
Kevin 
Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
2015 Indian Roadmaster - Indian Red
2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline ndncowboy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:02:34 AM »
I'm all for people learning how to brake properly to start with but the penalty for not knowing how is rather harsh. So since very few take the time to, this is not a bad idea.  Look at it as training to get you to self-driving motorcycles. It too is coming possibly.
The only reason some people are still alive is because it's against the law to shoot them.
American Legion Rider

Offline Roadie

• In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
I'm all for people learning how to brake properly to start with but the penalty for not knowing how is rather harsh. So since very few take the time to, this is not a bad idea.  Look at it as training to get you to self-driving motorcycles. It too is coming possibly.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

>------->  >------->  >------->

Offline Drifter

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
I'm not opposed to the linked braking as long as to is only active above 15 -20 MPH.  You can't make a sharp turning stop with a Goldwing because the front brake is linked and it will pull you over. I hope they corrected this on the all new 2018's.

Offline Senior Chief Vintage

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
This sounds pretty cool but what keeps the front brake from being activated on gravel or in a sharp turn? Because of a messed up right hip I use my front brake most of the time except for the above.
2014 Chief Vintage #0217
       Springfield Blue

Offline bwana6

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
Just a little info from inside the hallowed walls on Juneau Avenue in Milwaukee.............HD will most likely have this as an option in a few years as now 60 some percent of their production is overseas sales. Although not required like even ABS that is not required here in the USA, this will be an option coming. It could be a race between manufacturers for US sales/deliveries to see who offers this first. Might be.

So bigger question is...........are we, the USA, behind in safety terms?

Offline Drifter

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure HD already has this on their Touring models, doesn't activate until the bike reaches 20 mph, but MSN reviews didn't like the stopping distance on the 2018 ultra, so HD needs to refine their system.

Offline bwana6

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
Very good Drifter..................here is what they say.................

The 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Glide starts at $21,000, a 115th Anniversary Edition starts at $22,000. In both cases, the touring bikes gain Reflex-linked Brembo brakes with anti-lock braking system, front suspensions with racing-style cartridge forks, and hand-adjustable rear shocks. Additional new features include stretched saddlebags, dark engine and body components, and new 19-inch front and 18-inch rear Talon wheels

Reflex - linked.............huh

The trike series have them I would dare guess but did noit read the article but here it is with standard features and this is for comparison only. Not hawking or pushing HD products.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2018-harley-davidson-motorcycles/