Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: FTR 1200 Feedback  (Read 318 times)

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
    • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
FTR 1200 Feedback
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »
I've been on the TriumphRat.net forum since 2005. By and large most of these guys are not fans of American cruisers and they aren't shy about telling you so. I was pleasantly surprised to see the positive feedback on the FTR 1200. Man, I hope they go into production with this...

http://www.triumphrat.net/biker-hang-out/881185-indian-ftr-1200-a.html

Kevin 
Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
2015 Indian Roadmaster - Indian Red
2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline Pocono_ACE

Re: FTR 1200 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
Indian is promoting this thing so much, it sure looks like they intend to sell it.  I'd certainly consider it as a fun little second bike, however when I moved from my Honda Shadow to the Chief, I was happy to leave the chain behind.  I wonder whether Indian would stick with the chain on a production FTR or give it a belt drive.

How do you guess the MSRP might compare with that of a standard Scout?  Higher or lower?
John

'15 red & black Chief Classic

Gone but not forgotten:
'01 Honda Shadow ACE 750
'01 Yamaha Virago 250

Offline Cowboy

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
Ugh.  But I am not 17 anymore.
Richard
'14 Indian Chief Classic, Blue, #1317
“The last time that damn cowboy laughed at me, I shot him. Of course, I waited until another gunslinger gunned him down first, but nevertheless, I still shot him.”

Offline BPHORSEGUY

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:25:03 PM »
Indian is promoting this thing so much, it sure looks like they intend to sell it.  I'd certainly consider it as a fun little second bike, however when I moved from my Honda Shadow to the Chief, I was happy to leave the chain behind.  I wonder whether Indian would stick with the chain on a production FTR or give it a belt drive.

How do you guess the MSRP might compare with that of a standard Scout?  Higher or lower?
You've got to be kidding, with that suspension and the Carbon Fibre that is a $30000 bike all day long!

Offline BPHORSEGUY

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:29:26 PM »
I tried to start a thread on the FTR about 6 weeks ago, I think I got 2 or three replys here! I am going to the NYC IMS this weekend and was hoping to see it but it wasn't at Long Beach!
http://www.chiefmotorcycleforum.com/index.php?topic=8345.msg131618#msg131618
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:39:22 PM by BPHORSEGUY »

Offline Pocono_ACE

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »

You've got to be kidding, with that suspension and the Carbon Fibre that is a $30000 bike all day long!

Okay, okay, I'm not a motorcycle design expert.  You answered my question.
John

'15 red & black Chief Classic

Gone but not forgotten:
'01 Honda Shadow ACE 750
'01 Yamaha Virago 250

Offline BPHORSEGUY

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:57:10 PM »
I suspect that if they did produce it by the time they comply with all the regs and make it produceable it won't look like that and it won't be $30000. It won't be priced near a standard Scout either!

Offline redvintage

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »
Looks faster than i'd ever dare to ride.

Offline BPHORSEGUY

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
I just saw it at the IMS in the flesh, stunning. They could never make a production bike look like that. The rep said they will not be making it for 2018 but maybe.... 19-20? He also said they had well over $50k into the prototype just on components!

Offline bwana6

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08:25 PM »
I just saw it at the IMS in the flesh, stunning. They could never make a production bike look like that. The rep said they will not be making it for 2018 but maybe.... 19-20? He also said they had well over $50k into the prototype just on components!

Its probably way more than 50K. Might be around 50K with just machining parts and setting up a prototype but in all reality man hours and engineering double shift salarties are not included here. I think like any other prototype, its far more.

Just think about what the costs were to develop the T-111 and the current Chief platform.

Even with Harleys ancient and tried engine platform, the costs to just mnake it a 4 valve M8 are probably staggering. I could live off of the engineering study and planning aspect here.

Offline BPHORSEGUY

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »
He wasn't talking about the project cost, just the high end components and probably that fancy one piece body!