Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: First Test Drive  (Read 1911 times)

Offline bwana6

Re: First Test Drive
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »
They do say to vary the RPM's and I did taker mine 48 miles home on the freeway ( I - 4 and I - 75 ) in FL and did vary the R's..............like 55MPH for a few miles, then 65 for a mile or so, then back down to 50 MPH..........just mix it up some. They do not want you going 65 MPH for 100 miles straight. Back roads mean stop signs and possibly slowing down for traffic curves, ect., but if you just mix it up in a straight line you are OK. Just get an oil change at 500 miles.

These engines are getting better every year or at least every decade. Not like before or when we were growing up. Most cars say nothing about this anymore unless its a high performance engine. My girlfriend has a damn Mercedes and every Mercedes we had  just says do an oil change at 10K. Nothing about taking it easy. 

You get overseas and see what a non - charmed life motorcycle or car engines lead. With non - specific brand/weight motor oil too. But seriously, vary it some, take it easy but really baby it nor rawhide it. And change oil.

Offline BPHORSEGUY

Re: First Test Drive
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »
Everyone has their own opinion. Some say the OEM's recommendation to baby it is to lower the warranty claim rate! Those that "baby" it would be horrified to see how the professionals "brake In" a $50,000 race motor. Many bikes and cars are broke in a dyno also which has a lot of full throttle!

I have never had a break in attributable problem with 31 bikes and counting. There is hard evidence that light break in will lead to poor ring sealing and reduced power and increased oil consumption down the road. A search will lead to hours of reading on this. I don't abuse my engines on break in but I certainly don't baby them either!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:33:04 PM by BPHORSEGUY »