Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Indian Police Bike?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline m0b00st

Indian Police Bike?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 04:39:12 PM »
Not many PD are using HD any longer.  Most are switching to BMW. They have a very good lease/maintenance program that is cost effective. In addition, they really handle.
In most areas, the cop has the choice what he/she wants to ride and the choices are narrowing down every year.

OMG.. Where in the hell are you finding BMW Police Bikes.....Hello?
What Country are you from?
Certainly not the USA where HD Rules.
Officer has a Choice?  Really?
SMH.....

Arizona Highway Patrol is all BMW now and so are many state agency's. The 1600cc one. Flagstaff PD uses a Honda model that looks like a Suzuki Burgman. FL Highway Patrol is introducing BMW's as well.

HD still owns the federal government business and foreign government motorcades. Also military.

BMW has made huge progress in law enforcement sales.
Arizona Highway Patrol uses the Kawasaki Concourse and a Honda of some variant, not many BMWs at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:42:37 PM by m0b00st »

Offline bwana6

Re: Indian Police Bike?
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
The Kawasaki's were chosen in 2011 and now being phased out for the BMW's. The DUI roving wolf packs and interstate patrols are all BMW or going that way. BMW has instituted very lucrative short term leases and maintenance programs. 2011 article on the Kawasaki...........

http://www.policemag.com/blog/vehicles/story/2011/12/arizona-dps-returns-to-kawasaki-for-motor-patrol.aspx

Police site on who uses what. Note the Moto Guzzi's during the mid 70's . Mesa PD, AZ HP, and a few others used them. The DUI wolf packs and the 6 bike roving state-wide pack all use the 6 cylinder BMW now
http://www.policemotorunits.com/arizona-highway-patrol.html

On I-40, and I-17 in the northern and central parts of AZ at least, its all BMW. Ford Explorers and BMW's.

On another note.............in 2014 the state of CA went to HD. Not sure if still the choice (?) as local agencies use whatever they can fund or source.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/06/harley-davidson_bikes_now_choi.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:55:58 PM by bwana6 »

Offline m0b00st

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
The Kawasaki's were chosen in 2011 and now being phased out for the BMW's. The DUI roving wolf packs and interstate patrols are all BMW or going that way. BMW has instituted very lucrative short term leases and maintenance programs. 2011 article on the Kawasaki...........

http://www.policemag.com/blog/vehicles/story/2011/12/arizona-dps-returns-to-kawasaki-for-motor-patrol.aspx

Police site on who uses what. Note the Moto Guzzi's during the mid 70's . Mesa PD, AZ HP, and a few others used them. The DUI wolf packs and the 6 bike roving state-wide pack all use the 6 cylinder BMW now
http://www.policemotorunits.com/arizona-highway-patrol.html

On I-40, and I-17 in the northern and central parts of AZ at least, its all BMW. Ford Explorers and BMW's.

On another note.............in 2014 the state of CA went to HD. Not sure if still the choice (?) as local agencies use whatever they can fund or source.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/06/harley-davidson_bikes_now_choi.html
Good info!  I drive all over the valley on a daily basis and have only noted 2 BMWs...maybe they will be phased in soon.

Offline pcasamento

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
I foresee Polaris doing it. Victory made police bikes. Why not...

Peace and All Good!
Peter

Offline bwana6

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
I think what kills off the Indian police bike idea is the dealer network. Lets face it, there are many HD stores across the fruited plain. Some states have ONE Indian store and a few states lack a store still. So the respective police/LE department would have to be close to a dealer for warranty. Many departments have their own trained motorcycle mechanic but thats no good for warranty items. In years to come? Yeah, sure...............but its real hard to beat dug in well spaced dealer points like HD, BMW, Kawasaki, and other have. But still, an Indian police bike with the valence fender would be the coolest thing out there.

Offline jayred1

• Gotta love Red
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »
One of our local LEO departments ride HDs.  And where do they take them for maintenance/repair? The Indian dealership - even though the HD dealership right across the highway. 

Offline twobit

• Member- Iron Indian Riders Association
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
The Texas Department of Public Safety Highway Patrol now has only FOUR motorcycles and they are kept at the capital area of Austin for motorcades. They are all HD.

By the way, a Texas DPS Trooper was murdered on thanksgiving day conducting a traffic stop on I-45. Shot to death. The shooter was later captured by a K-9 that took a few bites out of him. Prayers for the Trooper's family.
Be True to Yourself, your God, your Family, and your Dog...everything else is Lipstick on a Pig!

Offline bwana6

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 11:22:17 AM »
The Texas Department of Public Safety Highway Patrol now has only FOUR motorcycles and they are kept at the capital area of Austin for motorcades. They are all HD.

By the way, a Texas DPS Trooper was murdered on thanksgiving day conducting a traffic stop on I-45. Shot to death. The shooter was later captured by a K-9 that took a few bites out of him. Prayers for the Trooper's family.

Saw that on the news. You will find a lot of foreign countries and a few places like you describe in Austin TX that has HD's and those are used for special parades, change of governors, funerals of big shots, ect. When I was in the Far East Region with HD, the Philippine government still had a fleet of light yellowish white panheads all pristine and under 5,000 miles each for presidential show offs and rarely got outside the capital of Manila. In 83 they finally relented and bought new Harleys. But you see this still. Would not surprise me in the least if you saw one in N Korea along with the Cadillac that the dictator uses.
Once, and 'if' Indian gets a dealer network and production stepped up, Polaris should concentrate on that type of sales to foreign govts and especially a presence known in the US military at bases here and especially overseas. HD does with sales people and even overseas delivery of bikes for people stationed in other countries. This is huge in terms of planting a long lasting impression in future sales.
By the way I talked to a friend who is Hillsborough County Sheriff ( deputy ) and goes to Bike Week in Daytona and knows a few motor officers there in Daytona and all are a little pissed that Victory is no more as their Vic police bikes ( outfitted NOT by Polaris but a company in AZ ) are fast, reliable, and good handling. This outfitter even went a step farther and put a kevlar shield under the bike to use as cover if a shootout happened. Just lay the bike over and you have a 'wall' to hide behind. Maybe they will do this with Indians (?) His site is still up and running.................

http://victorypolicemotorcycles.com/

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
    • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
By the way I talked to a friend who is Hillsborough County Sheriff ( deputy ) and goes to Bike Week in Daytona and knows a few motor officers there in Daytona and all are a little pissed that Victory is no more as their Vic police bikes ( outfitted NOT by Polaris but a company in AZ ) are fast, reliable, and good handling. This outfitter even went a step farther and put a kevlar shield under the bike to use as cover if a shootout happened. Just lay the bike over and you have a 'wall' to hide behind. Maybe they will do this with Indians (?) His site is still up and running.................

A while back I saw a video with Police Cross Country bikes. In a tight maneuver one rider had the bike go over onto the right front engine guard. The bike didn't stall and he had enough torque to bring the bike back upright from laying on its side. Remarkable.
Kevin 
Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
2015 Indian Roadmaster - Indian Red
2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline bwana6

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »

A while back I saw a video with Police Cross Country bikes. In a tight maneuver one rider had the bike go over onto the right front engine guard. The bike didn't stall and he had enough torque to bring the bike back upright from laying on its side. Remarkable.

Really is. Right when a few departments felt FINALLY they got the right bike and then Victory goes south. Just a durable, easy to work on, and user friendly police vehicle.

I for one am a huge fan of weird styles and predicted that the Pacer car  would be a collectible in the future and lo and behold the entire AMC line is very hot now. Like the Levi Edition Gremlin and any fishbowl Pacer. I see this in the Victory Vision and if one had a Vision police bike ( or made one )..............wow..............15 years from now you talk about a crowd stopper/pleaser? I know...........too far 'out there' but thats what sells and makes the public go ga - ga.

Here is a couple of pics from an unidentified country using a Vision.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:20:44 PM by bwana6 »