Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Impressed with Indian's new Command System.  (Read 11919 times)

Offline RedChieftain

• Hero Member-10018
  • Is motorcycling great, or what! :)
Re: Impressed with Indian's new Command System.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:55 pm »
Zork, I made that same call several weeks ago and got a pleasant, but unsatisfactory answer as you did.  I rode to Sturgis though and I got the answer!  Fortunately, I asked the right guy; the guy who led the launch of the Ride Command system.  I'm not an audio expert, in any way, but in laymans terms the system on the 2017's, though still 200 watts as the 2015's and 2016's, is much better.  The amp is better, the equalization is better, dampening has been added in the fairing, and the speaker grills are now metal and 1mm thick vs. plastic and 4mm thick.  That speaker grill change makes a very big positive difference according to the folks in the know.  I test rode the 2017 RM four times to check out different things and compared to my 2015 RM the sound system is much better.  I hope this helps some.  That improvement, along with the Ride Command system, the great visibility of the screen, the painted inner fairing, etc., convinced me to make the trade for a 2017.  My new bike is in transit to my dealer.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:09:38 pm by RedChieftain »
Think about donating blood, regularly.  It is desperately needed and it keeps folks alive!  Thank you

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline zork52

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 08:23:35 am »
    Red Chieftain,

Well after a second full day in the saddle leading demo rides mostly in a 17 Pearl White Chieftain, I played a station that came in flawlessly. One of my IMRG club buddies rode the rear all day in a 17 RM on the same station. We had Jimi Hendrix going in stereo.  I'm going to again have to rewrite my 101K and borrow against it again before Obama drains it dry. I'm going to trade up. Maybe not as quick as you. My buddy is trading up also. A young kid tried to kill me on the first ride of the morning by pulling out of a side street when I was literally about 20 ft away. Brakes work good without locking up.

I don't really ride long distances compared to all here, but I am officially impressed with the whole info center AND bike, but the info center at first is BIG.  It was the same my 60" LED TV. At first at home it looked like a billboard but shrunk dramatically in 3 weeks or so. I'm still thinking a taller whip antenna would help on back roads or in fringe areas for outer limit FM stations.

Red,PM me that guys name / info if you can. I'd love to chat with him. Like he has the time.

Injun also made a cooling channel back plate for the rear cylinder the fits behind their round Air Cleaner upgrade. Nice. Got to run off to work.

I did not get to spy a Thunder Black Pearl color. The White really grew on me, but I always think BLACK looks great, is faster, and easiest to touch up. Plus a color match inner grille is more to clean with BLACK. I have to say though first time I'm thinking about a white bike.

What color did YOU get and have you seen the Thunder Black Pearl????
    « Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:33:42 am by zork52 »

Offline zork52

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 08:37:44 am »

Believe it or not, the engineers are probably very busy engineering the next version.  There are also hundreds (or more?) owners like you that every day want every question they have answered by "the experts".  These questions probably range from "what's that sound I only hear when I turn the last corner by my house - it really bugs me" to ones requiring a PhD in aerodynamic engineering or oil tribology. They can't staff "experts" in all fields to sit at a phone bank and be on call for everyone ... unless you want a much more expensive bike.

Yeah, I certainly get that,  but maybe if there was a way to find tuner specs somewhere to compare old vs. new, is what I was curious about. Like I just posted also, playing a big powerful station, the thing sounded like a CD.

Offline RedChieftain

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 09:24:55 pm »
    Zork, I'm getting a black one.  My 2015 RM is black as well but the 2017 looks even better with that painted inner fairing.  I don't have the contacts for the guys I spoke with, just first names.  Sorry.
    Think about donating blood, regularly.  It is desperately needed and it keeps folks alive!  Thank you

Offline zork52

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 06:04:16 pm »
    Zork, I'm getting a black one.  My 2015 RM is black as well but the 2017 looks even better with that painted inner fairing.  I don't have the contacts for the guys I spoke with, just first names.  Sorry.

Finances are tight, so I may have to wait, although I haven't seen the new Thunder Black on a Chieftain yet.

Offline howie192

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 10:36:42 pm »
    I really like the ride command system, that being said it's unfortunate that they continue to make things nicer when you thought you bought the nicest and the best there is. This time I'm going to hang on to the bike I have and quit spending so much money

Offline m0b00st

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 05:39:00 am »
    it's unfortunate that they continue to make things nicer when you thought you bought the nicest and the best there is.
    This is a pretty odd comment...You thought things would just stop getting better? Is the last car you bought still the nicest car on the road?  Things get better every year in every industry, it's just the way of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bad Attitude

• Full Member-10016
    • I'm ready to ride.
    « Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 09:10:37 am »
    I went to a 2017 demo event last week and rode several of the new models. I liked the new dash. It is a lot easier to read for my old old eyes. I sure did like the new two tone color scheme on the Chieftain. Right now I will keep my 2014.
    2014 Blue Indian Chieftain

"Price is not everything with a dealer. If the dealer cannot deliver great service after the sale, the price is worthless!"

Offline LabRat

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #38 on: September 27, 2016, 09:41:12 am »
    I got to see the system in person last weekend. Looks much better than pictures and would certainly pick one up if I was in the market. HOWEVER, I prefer the old school look of the original Chieftain/Roadmaster. To me, this original dash complements the design cues of the bike and reminds me of a dash from a car from the 50's.
    John
    '14 Chieftain / '19 DMC Tomahawk SE
    '21 Challenger Dark Horse

Offline zork52

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »
    Anyone actually SEE a 17 Chieftain in Thunder Black Pearl yet?

I can't picture it, but when I led demo days I kept using the Pearl White Chieftain, and it was growing on me.

HOWEVER, want to see the Black Pearl color. None this color expected in N.E. till OCT.

Offline TLewis

• Registered-2
    « Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 10:55:35 pm »
    I'm going to the demo truck on Friday to check out the system. Do you know if custom routes can be imported to the system like on the Garmin Zumo?

I heard that they can be imported by way of a memory stick.

The memory card is in the compartment under windshield.....simple

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 04:59:05 am »
    Anyone actually SEE a 17 Chieftain in Thunder Black Pearl yet?

No, but yesterday I saw a 17 RM in Burgundy, and I was in love.

The Black and cream RM is also very sharp.  8)
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline xcrider

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 06:44:20 am »
    I'm going to the demo truck on Friday to check out the system. Do you know if custom routes can be imported to the system like on the Garmin Zumo?

I heard that they can be imported by way of a memory stick.

The memory card is in the compartment under windshield.....simple

As of now you CANNOT import custom routes. Hopefully it will be something introduced in a future software update, which by the way, are simple to perform.
    Yes, the USB connector is located in the compartment on the top of the dash. And it doesn't rattle/vibrate like the old compartment!

Offline Lone Ranger

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #43 on: September 30, 2016, 07:46:20 pm »

As of now you CANNOT import custom routes. Hopefully it will be something introduced in a future software update, which by the way, are simple to perform.
    Yes, the USB connector is located in the compartment on the top of the dash. And it doesn't rattle/vibrate like the old compartment!
    [/quote]

This is a major issue.  That means you cannot plan any routes except ones selected by the system, i.e fastest time, shortest distance or scenic.  I use my Garmin to plan club rides where we are looking for different options and POI with end destination being secondary. 
    Lone Ranger
    Patriot Guard Rider
    President Spirit of San Diego IMRG #1934
    Iron Indian Rider 5000013
    2017 Chieftain LTD
    2014 Chieftain (traded)
    Silver 2001 Scout (sold)

Offline RedChieftain

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
    I have not imported routes because I don't do that kind of thing but I spoke with a 2017 RM owner who does it all the time and he and his wife said they have done it on their 2017 RM.