Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Differences among handlebars  (Read 2414 times)

Offline SkipII

• Hero Member-10018
    • Defining Moments
Differences among handlebars
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »
I'm not sure we can answer this on a forum, but here goes...

I'm not sure if I have the regular or the pull back bars on my Indian (it was bought used). I'm wondering if there is some way to tell by measuring the spread across the ends of the grips, but I'm not even sure if that is difference.

Anyone know?

As well, I was looking at a guy's bike yesterday and he had beach bars. I thought beach bars were at least as wide at the regular bars but they seemed more swept back. I have a chance buy them from him at a good price since he is thinking of switching to Springfield bars.

So, to sum up all that confusion:
1. Any way to determine what bars I have now -- standard or sweet back?
2. Would beach bar make it easier on a u-turn? (I have 30" arms).

Thanks for any help.

The shortest distance between two points is boring.

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline New User Name

• Sr. Member-10017
    Re: Differences among handlebars
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:30 pm »
    I have the Indian beach bars on my Vintage and I love them.  They measure about 39" straight across with the grips in place.  I think they make turns a little easier since you get more leverage.

30" arms?!?!  Wow!  Those are HUGE biceps!  ;D

Offline SkipII

• Hero Member-10018
      • Defining Moments
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:45:09 am »
    Huh, my current bars are only 36" yet when I say on a friend's bike with beach bars, they felt more comfortable.

Yeah, that 30" arm is length, not girth! With  17" neck left over from wrestling, imagine trying to buy shirts.

Offline New User Name

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:33:05 am »
    Huh, my current bars are only 36" yet when I say on a friend's bike with beach bars, they felt more comfortable.

Yeah, that 30" arm is length, not girth! With  17" neck left over from wrestling, imagine trying to buy shirts.

I find the beach bars to be much more comfortable, though the Indian version could still come back a bit further and relieve some more stress on my lower back.  But if they did, it would require a longer clutch cable, which would drive up the cost a great deal.  I find apehangers to be extremely uncomfortable, but others feel the exact opposite about apes and beach bars.  Then there is the personal preference for how each looks...  What's odd is when I see guys arguing about which is "best".

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:35:19 pm by New User Name »

Offline Senior Chief Vintage

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:07:34 am »
      As Vintage riders know, the worst thing about the stock bars is the wrist angle. If it wasn't for the cruise control I wouldn't be able to ride.
      Does anyone know if stock Chieftain bars will fit on a Vintage? I have access to one and need to know if it will work. Thanks in advance.

2014 Chief Vintage #0217
           Springfield Blue

Offline SkipII

• Hero Member-10018
      • Defining Moments
    « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »

[/quote]

I find the beach bars to be much more comfortable, though the Indian version could still come back a bit further and relieve some more stress on my lower back. 
    [/quote]

If the beach bars are 39" and my current bars are 36" (still not sure if they are stock or pull-back), I can't imagine the beach bars would be better for me in terms of turning.

Offline 802Flier

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 02:42:50 pm »
    I put the 2" pullbacks on my Vintage right out of the gate.  I got a sore neck during the demo ride before my bike arrived back in Oct '13.  The pullbacks helped, but in order to get them to the height that I wanted, the grips are nearly parallel with the horizon, which is an odd wrist angle (for me, anyway - I am short with corresponding short arms).   Using cruise helps and I typically ride with my last 2 fingers past the end of the grip so that my wrist tilts down a little.  I've only sat on a Springfield a couple of times, but it seemed like they had a little more natural angle on the grips.
    It's OK if you disagree with me - I can't force you to be right.

Kevin
    '02 Spirit
    '14 Vintage #700 black

Offline Bad Attitude

• Full Member-10016
    • I'm ready to ride.
    « Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 01:28:57 pm »
    I replaced my stock Chieftain bars with a set of Mid-rise bars. Like them a lot. It made a big difference to me.
    2014 Blue Indian Chieftain

"Price is not everything with a dealer. If the dealer cannot deliver great service after the sale, the price is worthless!"

Offline SkipII

• Hero Member-10018
      • Defining Moments
    « Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:45 pm »
    Having just ridden a buddy's bike with beach bars, I think all I need to do is lower mine a bit. The beach bars were actually wider (as noted above) but felt more comfortable because they were lower.