Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Before you buy a Harley, engine defects  (Read 687 times)

Offline Running Bare

Re: Before you buy a Harley, engine defects
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 04:16:12 AM »
Or Indian playing serious dodgeball with clutch cables breaking.........forget the kickstand breaking issues.Horror stories on clacking run around at Polaris. One could write an equally 'bad' article on Indian bikes.
Truth is, I met one of the HD reps I used to know at Arrowhead HD in Mesa AZ and had lunch together. The M8 is about as bulletproof as it gets and he has been called in on two minor complaints ( oil leak seepage ) and of the thousands already sold that engine is not getting warranty action. We all must remember that HD puts 250,000 bikes on the road every year compared to about 20,000 Indians. Even the raggedy ass Sportsters outsell Indians total by 3 X . 60,000 Sportsters sold every year. Unreal.
But all agree, and I mean all with the regular employees and all, that the Scout is a better bike than the Sportster is. Value and performance wise but not in problems as the 1200 Sportster is about as good as it gets warranty - wise. Wile i was there some kid came in and bought a 750............the souped up one...........and said he would not consider Indian because of the horrible dealer and customer satisfaction problems. Kinda scary there. My 2014 is issue free and I told them that but feel like the lone ranger here and on other forums. Just a FYI. HD has 50 new models coming out and a design/marketing crew thats very serious. Indian better get it together very fast. I hope they do
HD is a subpar manufacturer nevertheless. I'd never buy one. They just released a recall for oil lines busting & leaking on the rear tire. Clutch cables & busting kickstands notwithstanding (the number is minuscule). I bought a Chieftain & had my kickstand changed due to peeling chrome. Dealer & customer satisfaction were top notch. Don't forget HD is also guilty dealer & customer satisfaction problems. Truth is you're never going to avoid issues with any manufacturer. HD just has more than its share.

The new M8 engine has had more than its share of problems too. Just read what owners have said about on the HD forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add to this the now documented fact that tranny fluid is migrating into the primary. Many are experiencing this, as you rev engine above 3500 that's when it starts. And it keeps going. The only way to prevent it is not to rev! Unbelievable. How much you want to bet HD "fixes" the problem in 2018, and 2017 left to there own solution, which of course for peace of mind includes trading for a new M8. I have been watching this engine and all the issues it has had relative to Indian engine issues, and I don't care how many HD's they produce in a year, quality is a head scratcher. The M8 is not bulletproof, not by a long shot.
Where did you hear about the tran fluid migration? Curious. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I check into hdforums from time to time to see what's happening with the m8. I'll summarize; not bullet proof by any stretch of the imagination. but that motor does have potential.
Running Bare

Offline LabRat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »
My friends that have the M8 are happy, but does anyone really expect HD to put out a new product without a number of issues? It is their MO - kinda like the software industry - customers are beta testers.
John
'14 Chieftain
Susquehanna Riders - IMRG Chapter 1903

Offline Running Bare

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
My friends that have the M8 are happy, but does anyone really expect HD to put out a new product without a number of issues? It is their MO - kinda like the software industry - customers are beta testers.

LIKE & AGREE
Running Bare

Offline RedCloud

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »
Nothing sours like a bad warranty battle for sure.
My dumb ass X friend had to sue hardley twice for problems then the dumb ass bought another one lol " you just cant fix stupid ". I would NEVER by another product again that I had to sue over , "I'm just not that dumb". The same asshole told me I was stupid for buying my Indians because I had a bad fob , he didnt like when I told him " at least I didnt have to sue Indian to get a new one" lol. He never did get his junk ass overpriced CVO bike fixed . HD just gave him a few bucks to go away & after he ran from dealer to dealer from Balt to Philly making a paper trail " for the law suit" with the time and gas , he lost money as far as I can figure. But he will tell you how he beat harley   PT Barnum sure was right when he said "theres a sucker born every second" and I think chris was born at least 5 Xs because he went out and gave hd another $ 35 thousand plus for another one LMAO .
But after watching how harley treated him I said I would never give them a chance to yank me around, even though my fb was/is a good bike. Its no Indian though thats for dam sure. I love my Indian Chieftains and have no plans to ever go back to hd.
Mike were on the same page my friend like you I saw my first when I was 10 -12 yrs old and fell in love. I just never believed I would own one untill Polaris picked them up .
I couldnt be happier with them and my dealer treats me like gold .

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:20:06 PM by RedCloud »
Redcloud, 2014 Red Chieftain #6682, Susquehanna IMRG 1903,
03 Harley FB

Dennis

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember. But they kept but one--They promised to take our land...and they took it." Chief Red Cloud of the Oglala Lakota Sioux