Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Before you buy a Harley, engine defects  (Read 7929 times)

Offline 2Cool

• Hero Member-10018
Before you buy a Harley, engine defects
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:29:15 am »
The link below will take you to a discussion regarding the many defects of Harley twin cam motorcycles.  I learned a great deal, the article is very scary.

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. - Ernest Hemingway

One man with courage makes a majority. - Andrew Jackson

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline SkipII

• Hero Member-10018
      • Defining Moments
    Re: Before you buy a Harley, engine defects
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:24:56 am »
    I'm not invested enough in the debate about H-Ds to read the whole article, but it certainly is troubling. There are no statistics noted, so it's questionable how how pervasive or anecdotal are the defects listed.

What I can speak to in my limited experience, is the 111 Thunderstroke. Having been on a couple of forums for two years and having some deeper discussions with dealer service reps, the list of problems with 111s is much shorter, and hardly catastrophic:

1. Clacking. Still a mystery but no evidence yet that it is a defect that leads to engine failure.
    2. Leaking pushrod upper seals. Bad design that requires you to to drop the engine to remove the single-shaft pushrod casing.
    3. Loss of torque on header bolts. Easily addressed in maintenance.
    4. Fuel rail abrasion -- addressed in safety recall.
    5. Fuel dumping during deceleration -- addressed in recall.

Most of the rest likely fits into a like/dislike bucket, not defects. Debates about whether the recall flashes affect performance, whether the engines are running hotter than needed, surge at low revs, etc. Same with non-engine complaints: fobs, some electrical, cost of accessories, etc.

If this H-D article is at all accurate, I think we can be pretty pleased with our 111s and the bikes overall.
    The shortest distance between two points is boring.

Offline bwana6

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:59:36 pm »
    Or Indian playing serious dodgeball with clutch cables breaking.........forget the kickstand breaking issues.Horror stories on clacking run around at Polaris. One could write an equally 'bad' article on Indian bikes.
    Truth is, I met one of the HD reps I used to know at Arrowhead HD in Mesa AZ and had lunch together. The M8 is about as bulletproof as it gets and he has been called in on two minor complaints ( oil leak seepage ) and of the thousands already sold that engine is not getting warranty action. We all must remember that HD puts 250,000 bikes on the road every year compared to about 20,000 Indians. Even the raggedy ass Sportsters outsell Indians total by 3 X . 60,000 Sportsters sold every year. Unreal.
    But all agree, and I mean all with the regular employees and all, that the Scout is a better bike than the Sportster is. Value and performance wise but not in problems as the 1200 Sportster is about as good as it gets warranty - wise. Wile i was there some kid came in and bought a 750............the souped up one...........and said he would not consider Indian because of the horrible dealer and customer satisfaction problems. Kinda scary there. My 2014 is issue free and I told them that but feel like the lone ranger here and on other forums. Just a FYI. HD has 50 new models coming out and a design/marketing crew thats very serious. Indian better get it together very fast. I hope they do

Offline geewago

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 03:07:56 pm »
    The link below will take you to a discussion regarding the many defects of Harley twin cam motorcycles.  I learned a great deal, the article is very scary.

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

Say it aint so !!

Offline New User Name

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:11:22 pm »
    I read these articles and file it all away in the back of my mind.  I've put too many miles on Twin Cams and seen so many others put on millions more on theirs without serious issues.  I'd hardly condemn that engine as a failure unless somebody just thinks that's fun.  The guy who wrote this article has an odd obsession with the Sportster, which is fine, but he has an obvious agenda.  And I'd like to see him take a Harley dealer to court and get back his full purchase price, including taxes, license, etc.  He makes it sound so easy and reasonable.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:42:30 pm by New User Name »

Offline adamus

• Sr. Member-10017
    • Always looking to ride
    « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:22:11 pm »
    Or Indian playing serious dodgeball with clutch cables breaking.........forget the kickstand breaking issues.Horror stories on clacking run around at Polaris. One could write an equally 'bad' article on Indian bikes.
    Truth is, I met one of the HD reps I used to know at Arrowhead HD in Mesa AZ and had lunch together. The M8 is about as bulletproof as it gets and he has been called in on two minor complaints ( oil leak seepage ) and of the thousands already sold that engine is not getting warranty action. We all must remember that HD puts 250,000 bikes on the road every year compared to about 20,000 Indians. Even the raggedy ass Sportsters outsell Indians total by 3 X . 60,000 Sportsters sold every year. Unreal.
    But all agree, and I mean all with the regular employees and all, that the Scout is a better bike than the Sportster is. Value and performance wise but not in problems as the 1200 Sportster is about as good as it gets warranty - wise. Wile i was there some kid came in and bought a 750............the souped up one...........and said he would not consider Indian because of the horrible dealer and customer satisfaction problems. Kinda scary there. My 2014 is issue free and I told them that but feel like the lone ranger here and on other forums. Just a FYI. HD has 50 new models coming out and a design/marketing crew thats very serious. Indian better get it together very fast. I hope they do
    HD is a subpar manufacturer nevertheless. I'd never buy one. They just released a recall for oil lines busting & leaking on the rear tire. Clutch cables & busting kickstands notwithstanding (the number is minuscule). I bought a Chieftain & had my kickstand changed due to peeling chrome. Dealer & customer satisfaction were top notch. Don't forget HD is also guilty dealer & customer satisfaction problems. Truth is you're never going to avoid issues with any manufacturer. HD just has more than its share.

The new M8 engine has had more than its share of problems too. Just read what owners have said about on the HD forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :) Chieftain makes my day!!! :)

Offline IWI Tavor

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:17:40 am »
    HD should just bring back their Evo motor and work it.
    Seriously, Bike shops all over the world are making a killing with the Evo.
    HD Dumped it for the Twin cam....
    How many years ago?
    They still can't get it right.

Offline Running Bare

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:31:26 pm »
    HD is a subpar manufacturer nevertheless. I'd never buy one. They just released a recall for oil lines busting & leaking on the rear tire. Clutch cables & busting kickstands notwithstanding (the number is minuscule). I bought a Chieftain & had my kickstand changed due to peeling chrome. Dealer & customer satisfaction were top notch. Don't forget HD is also guilty dealer & customer satisfaction problems. Truth is you're never going to avoid issues with any manufacturer. HD just has more than its share.

The new M8 engine has had more than its share of problems too. Just read what owners have said about on the HD forum.

Add to this the now documented fact that tranny fluid is migrating into the primary. Many are experiencing this, as you rev engine above 3500 that's when it starts. And it keeps going. The only way to prevent it is not to rev! Unbelievable. How much you want to bet HD "fixes" the problem in 2018, and 2017 left to there own solution, which of course for peace of mind includes trading for a new M8. I have been watching this engine and all the issues it has had relative to Indian engine issues, and I don't care how many HD's they produce in a year, quality is a head scratcher. The M8 is not bulletproof, not by a long shot.
    Running Bare

Offline adamus

• Sr. Member-10017
    • Always looking to ride
    « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:14 pm »

Add to this the now documented fact that tranny fluid is migrating into the primary. Many are experiencing this, as you rev engine above 3500 that's when it starts. And it keeps going. The only way to prevent it is not to rev! Unbelievable. How much you want to bet HD "fixes" the problem in 2018, and 2017 left to there own solution, which of course for peace of mind includes trading for a new M8. I have been watching this engine and all the issues it has had relative to Indian engine issues, and I don't care how many HD's they produce in a year, quality is a head scratcher. The M8 is not bulletproof, not by a long shot.
    The tranny fluid thing is a new one on me! Wow!! HD is pure crap! The funny thing is that people complaining about the 111 clacking act like they have as bad an engine as the M8! Ungrateful nervous nellies!!

Offline bwana6

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 02:11:53 am »

Very obvious that you are a newbie to the ,motorcycle world. Indian customer relations is the worst in the industry and the dealer to corporate pipeline is plain horrid. Maybe you got some nicey nice attitude from your dealer but it is not the norm by any means. This is what will kill Indian down the road. Its bad customer relations and inability or unwillingness to address clacking and other issues. Remember that HD sells over TEN times the bikes that Indian does. Like it or not, thats fact. I have a trouble free Indian Chief . A 2014 before Indian went on their austerity program and killed standard equipment and colors. Now they introduce a color here or so back every year and people go crazy. But I have seen people trade clackers and noise makers only to get another one. Why should that be?
    Look..........I can buy a HD 2% under invoice on the retiree plan but went Indian. I like what Indian has done but am embarrassed by their customer service and trust me, HD people use it to keep HD riders loyal. Its all fun and games to deny bad mojo at Polaris corporate because after all, YOU have an Indian and nothing could go wrong. But just wait...........that home boy tune will change when something happens and you get hang - ups from corporate and denials from dealers. Remember the whitewall browning issue? Call now on it and you will get an answer like this from a gum chewing 18 year old........"We never heard of this".
    I would dare say that more people could get injured from snapped clutch cables locking a bike in gear than a leaky clamp on an oil line. Yet this all may happen when enough complain about the Indians 1950ish clutch cable instead of a hydraulic one. Like I said, I like Indians.............but thank God I never myself have to deal with corporate customer relations. The tire browning was enough

Offline Running Bare

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 09:56:47 am »
    Bwana, I agree with you about dealer relations and Polaris' apparent lack of caring/attitude. But if you go to the most recent thread on the HD forums comparing Indian/HD, you will notice that they all like the Indian's clutch much better than the hydraulic POS HD has. And it's more than a leaky hose clamp; that is just the most recent fail. Tranny fluid migrating into Primary, oil pumps blowing up engines, etc. And even though one can produce big power numbers out of the M8 more cheaply than the TS111, ask the engine builders how "satisfied" they are with a 20% stronger crank (still pressed!) when they put 30% more power into these motors. That crank still needs to be upgraded. The new M8 is not bulletproof, but the HD faithful think it's head and shoulders above their 103's, which it is, but that's not saying a whole lot. I was a happy and relatively trouble free HD rider for about 16 years, but the TS 111 is superior to the M8 except for the heads. I will wager it will be more reliable, as well. I am continuing to watch the development of the M8, as it has potential, but HD is still in beta mode on this motor as far as I'm concerned.
    Running Bare

Offline adamus

• Sr. Member-10017
    • Always looking to ride
    « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 12:12:10 pm »

Very obvious that you are a newbie to the ,motorcycle world. Indian customer relations is the worst in the industry and the dealer to corporate pipeline is plain horrid. Maybe you got some nicey nice attitude from your dealer but it is not the norm by any means. This is what will kill Indian down the road. Its bad customer relations and inability or unwillingness to address clacking and other issues. Remember that HD sells over TEN times the bikes that Indian does. Like it or not, thats fact. I have a trouble free Indian Chief . A 2014 before Indian went on their austerity program and killed standard equipment and colors. Now they introduce a color here or so back every year and people go crazy. But I have seen people trade clackers and noise makers only to get another one. Why should that be?
    Look..........I can buy a HD 2% under invoice on the retiree plan but went Indian. I like what Indian has done but am embarrassed by their customer service and trust me, HD people use it to keep HD riders loyal. Its all fun and games to deny bad mojo at Polaris corporate because after all, YOU have an Indian and nothing could go wrong. But just wait...........that home boy tune will change when something happens and you get hang - ups from corporate and denials from dealers. Remember the whitewall browning issue? Call now on it and you will get an answer like this from a gum chewing 18 year old........"We never heard of this".
    I would dare say that more people could get injured from snapped clutch cables locking a bike in gear than a leaky clamp on an oil line. Yet this all may happen when enough complain about the Indians 1950ish clutch cable instead of a hydraulic one. Like I said, I like Indians.............but thank God I never myself have to deal with corporate customer relations. The tire browning was enough
    It's obvious you're a newb yourself. HD suffers from the same thing. I wanted to get service to look at my 2010 SG weld by the frame head. Some santa claus looking guy told me "that happens from time to time. It's a little flux that bubbled out due to the high temps in welding. Nothing to worry about" long story short I rung the bell all the way up the chain of command & the blew me off completely! Don't forget HD invented the "austerity program"   When they introduce new colors & a variation on a bike they already have the HD kool-aid crowd goes nuts. I fail to see the Indian austerity program as they have introduced a NAV package (I don't want it as I like to ride like I have been for 40 years w/o one) & more models with more to come. The 2014 Indians would've fit well under the moniker of "austerity program" They had only 3 models to offer with a few solid colors...... that's it. In 2014 they suffered from peeling paint & fading leather on the vintage. They changed up the leather & have since invested in expanding their paint Ops. I've seen some customers moan & complain about the early paint & leather problems & some satisfied by how the dealer handled it. We will see how the clutch cable issue pans out its been 4 model years & of the tens of thousands already sold with the number of bad cables a pittance when compared to gross sales. Speaking of sales nothing lasts forever & that home boy tune you sang of HD sales won't either if HD keeps up their ways. Indian sales are growing year over year at the expense of HD like it or not its a fact! There are legions of HD trading up to Indian such as what I did. If HD keeps putting out recall-prone products it's not out of the realm of possibility that Indian will rival HD sales someday.... like it or not. Now I realize that Indian isn't perfect. Their products, sales & support could use some improvement. I'm not an Indian fanboy waving their flag. All companies aren't perfect. If I find that they do bad by me I'll just buy another bike from a competitor. End of story. Cheers! I'm going riding!

Offline adamus

• Sr. Member-10017
    • Always looking to ride
    « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 02:08:06 pm »

Where did you hear about the tran fluid migration? Curious. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Hero Member-10018
    • "It's an Indian. The FIRST American motorcycle."
    « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 04:01:53 pm »
    A lot of HD dealers don't treat their customers any better than some Indian dealers do. I rode Harleys for 20 years, loved every one of them, and never had a major problem with any of them.

2 reasons I bought my Indian:

1) I've wanted one since I was about 12 years old when I first saw one. The earlier iterations just weren't for me for various reasons. Once Polaris bought the rights and got serious I became intrigued. Once I saw them at Delmarva Bike week, before they were even on the road yet, I became interested. Once I read an article on the TS111, before it was even on the road yet, I knew it was probably going to happen.

2) Harley lost me as a customer because of a warranty claim. I will probably never have another Harley because of it. In just over two years I bought two Bikes at the same dealer... a Road King and an Ultra Limited, and spent thousands in gear, parts, etc.. I figured that I spent about $50K in that dealer in those couple of years. They lost me over a warranty claim that probably didn't cost them $500. Worse than fighting to get my warranty claim taken care of was the treatment by the service manager. He was a total dick and never had any intention of helping me. I should have beat his ass for the way he talked to me.

My claim eventually got taken care of but not because Harley felt like I had a legitimate claim. They had already told me "no way". Then the Hand of Fate waved at me. Literally the day after I got the final "no way" directly from Milwaukee I got a random phone call on a Sunday afternoon from a survey group. My wife answered and brought the pone out to the driveway where I was. She said "They want you to take a survey". I said, "forget it". She said, "They are an independent survey company taking a Harley customer satisfaction survey."

So I took the survey and told the guy the whole warranty claim story. He said he had never heard a worse claim story and was shocked at the way the service manager had treated me.
    I thanked him, hung up, and never expected it to mount to anything.
    Then the very next day, a Monday, I got a call from the dealership. The call was from the second in command at the dealership. "Mike, we're going to take care of that warranty claim for you. Let's schedule an appointment."

The guy never mentioned the survey or call that I got to take the survey. Coincidence.... HA! "No way".

I recently found out that the service manager I had a problem with was fired not long after that. I also recently found out that the other service manager, a real good guy, now works for..... Indian Motorcycles. I ran into him while at the dealer a month back.

By the way.... 2014 Chieftain. No paint issues or other problems (except the shroud on the power button peeling which will be taken care of soon). Still Love the damn thing every time I even look at it.
    The world is full of dumb asses. Don't let a dumb ass ruin your day.

Proud owner of:

2014 Chieftain #4744, Indian Red
    Stage 1 Fish Tail Exhaust
    Saddlebag Speakers
    Low Back Rest w/ Luggage Rack
    Passenger Highway Bars
    Infinite Highway Pegs
    "Dick's" Passenger Floorboards
    "Dick's" Horn Cover Insert

Offline adamus

• Sr. Member-10017
    • Always looking to ride
    « Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »
    A lot of HD dealers don't treat their customers any better than some Indian dealers do. I rode Harleys for 20 years, loved every one of them, and never had a major problem with any of them.

2 reasons I bought my Indian:

1) I've wanted one since I was about 12 years old when I first saw one. The earlier iterations just weren't for me for various reasons. Once Polaris bought the rights and got serious I became intrigued. Once I saw them at Delmarva Bike week, before they were even on the road yet, I became interested. Once I read an article on the TS111, before it was even on the road yet, I knew it was probably going to happen.

2) Harley lost me as a customer because of a warranty claim. I will probably never have another Harley because of it. In just over two years I bought two Bikes at the same dealer... a Road King and an Ultra Limited, and spent thousands in gear, parts, etc.. I figured that I spent about $50K in that dealer in those couple of years. They lost me over a warranty claim that probably didn't cost them $500. Worse than fighting to get my warranty claim taken care of was the treatment by the service manager. He was a total dick and never had any intention of helping me. I should have beat his ass for the way he talked to me.

My claim eventually got taken care of but not because Harley felt like I had a legitimate claim. They had already told me "no way". Then the Hand of Fate waved at me. Literally the day after I got the final "no way" directly from Milwaukee I got a random phone call on a Sunday afternoon from a survey group. My wife answered and brought the pone out to the driveway where I was. She said "They want you to take a survey". I said, "forget it". She said, "They are an independent survey company taking a Harley customer satisfaction survey."

So I took the survey and told the guy the whole warranty claim story. He said he had never heard a worse claim story and was shocked at the way the service manager had treated me.
    I thanked him, hung up, and never expected it to mount to anything.
    Then the very next day, a Monday, I got a call from the dealership. The call was from the second in command at the dealership. "Mike, we're going to take care of that warranty claim for you. Let's schedule an appointment."

The guy never mentioned the survey or call that I got to take the survey. Coincidence.... HA! "No way".

I recently found out that the service manager I had a problem with was fired not long after that. I also recently found out that the other service manager, a real good guy, now works for..... Indian Motorcycles. I ran into him while at the dealer a month back.

By the way.... 2014 Chieftain. No paint issues or other problems (except the shroud on the power button peeling which will be taken care of soon). Still Love the damn thing every time I even look at it.
    That's just more proof that HD customer service is no better than Indian. My hope is that Indian will improve this end of their business to really help it grow.  In the meantime some owners will be miffed at how an Indian treats some I realize it. It just happens with every company.