Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Dunlap Elite 4 tire wear  (Read 996 times)

Offline Drifter

Dunlap Elite 4 tire wear
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:05 PM »
I now have 9000 miles on my E 4's and I am down to the wear indicators.  I like everything about the tires but the longevity sucks. I got 15 and 16,000 from my E3's. This is not just me I have friends that have the same wear issues.
 Just posting this as a warning. I will now start my research into other brands as I understand Dunlap no longer makes the E3.

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
    • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
Re: Dunlap Elite 4 tire wear
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:56:56 AM »
I'm surprised to hear this. There have been good reports about the E4s from folks on Victory forums.
I would have been lucky to get 10K miles out of a set of E3s. The E4s I'm running now look pretty good at over 6,500 miles and I'm hoping to break the 10K barrier with them.
And not for nothing, the E4s hold the road even better than the E3s did. And I never had a complaint about them either.
Kevin 
Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
2015 Indian Roadmaster - Indian Red
2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline geewago

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 08:34:34 AM »
The ads say the Elite 4 is a longer life tire with better road grip.  I find that hard to believe.  Because so far all we've ever known from tires is: The harder the tire the longer the life. The softer the tire the shorter the life but the better the grip.   So how exactly can an E4 have better grip than an E3 but last longer?

Offline Drifter

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:19:20 AM »
I believe the wear bars on the E4's are higher than on the E3's , for what reason ,I don't know. My tread depth is at 3.5/32 on the rear and 4/32 on the front. Normal wear bars are at 2/32 if memory is correct.

Offline ndncowboy

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »
The ads say the Elite 4 is a longer life tire with better road grip.  I find that hard to believe.  Because so far all we've ever known from tires is: The harder the tire the longer the life. The softer the tire the shorter the life but the better the grip.   So how exactly can an E4 have better grip than an E3 but last longer?

I think they interpret better grip as in corners where you are leaned over so the surface on the outer edges of the tire are actually softer than the middle surface where upright riding occurs. So softer outer surface and harder compound middle surface. Longer and better performance. Maybe???
The only reason some people are still alive is because it's against the law to shoot them.
American Legion Rider

Offline Drifter

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
My apologies to the Indian Community. In the bright light of daytime I was able to find the true wear bar on the E4's. I knew enough to look for the wear bar by first locating the small triangles on the sidewall but then you really have to hunt for the almost invisible wear indicators.
At my current tread depth I still have 2 -2.5/32's of wear left. I should be able to go 12,000 miles on the E4's. Still may not be as good as the E3's but I do like the ride and grip of the E4's. Sorry about the rant, I shouldn't have even worried about the wear indicators and should have just gone with the measured tread depth.

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »

I think they interpret better grip as in corners where you are leaned over so the surface on the outer edges of the tire are actually softer than the middle surface where upright riding occurs. So softer outer surface and harder compound middle surface. Longer and better performance. Maybe???

Agreed. Although the tread pattern on the E4s is very different than the E3s too. The E4s seem to do better on tar snakes and on wet roads. And better when leaned over.

I've got a lot of total miles on E3s over the years and have no complaints. I tried the Michelin Commanders and hated them.
Kevin 

Offline K2V2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
My apologies to the Indian Community. In the bright light of daytime I was able to find the true wear bar on the E4's. I knew enough to look for the wear bar by first locating the small triangles on the sidewall but then you really have to hunt for the almost invisible wear indicators.
At my current tread depth I still have 2 -2.5/32's of wear left. I should be able to go 12,000 miles on the E4's. Still may not be as good as the E3's but I do like the ride and grip of the E4's. Sorry about the rant, I shouldn't have even worried about the wear indicators and should have just gone with the measured tread depth.

Thanks for the clarification.
Let us know how many total miles you get on that set. Ride safe.
Kevin 

Offline geewago

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 11:22:57 AM »
Quote from: K2V2 link

I've got a lot of total miles on E3s over the years and have no complaints. I tried the Michelin Commanders and hated them.
[/quote

That's amazing.  Most everybody else is reporting that they like the Michelins better.  I too have not been disappointed in the E3s.  Trying an E4 on the front right now.  cant really tell any difference. Was thinking I would go with Michelin next just to see if they suited me. Bottom line, that's really all that matters.

Offline Roadie

• In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
I love the Michelin Commander IIs on my Chieftain, the E3 sucked compared to them in handling and wear. Got 18,500 out of my first pair of Commander IIs on my Chieftain and no over 13,000 on my second pair.

>--------->     >--------->     >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

>------->  >------->  >------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

Offline Drifter

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »
The Michelin website says they don't make a tire to fit the Chieftain.

Offline Kawliga

• '14 Red Vintage '15 Chieftain Red & Ivory
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »
Hope I can find exact tires that came on my '15 Chieftain, have 23K on original front tire with tread left and over 17K on rear. I have never gotten such tire wear on any tire and any bike.
"Kawliga always wore his Sunday feathers
 and carried an ole black hawk"
 Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Old Salty

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »
The Michelin website says they don't make a tire to fit the Chieftain.

They do make sizes that work. This is what I'm running on my 2014 Chieftain:

Michelin Commander II Motorcycle Tire

Front, 130/90-16, Bias Ply, 16, Tubeless, 73, H, Reinforced

Rear, 180/65-16, Bias Ply, 16, Tubeless, 81, H

These sizes are listed on Michelin's web site at: Size details for versions of COMMANDER II (scroll down on web page to see tire sizes)

The tire sizes on this web page are shown as:

Front: 130/90 B16 73H
Rear:  180/65 B16 81H

2014 Black Indian Chieftain

Offline Chris Foth

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 02:37:13 AM »
I was told that the roadmaster is to heavy for the Michelin. The dealer that out them on my ultra will not put them on my Indian

Offline Pocono_ACE

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »
I've logged a bit over 10,000 miles on the original tires, and still have 4/32nds on the rear.  I forget what I measured on the front, but it was better than the back tire.  (A tread depth gauge is a handy thing to have.)  According to the specs on the Dunlop site, the tire came with 6/32 of tread.  Based on that, and the need to replace at 2/32, I figure I should get 20,000 miles out of the rear tire.  Can't complain about that.

I asked my mechanic friend about the Elite 3 vs. 4. He told me that my tires are the "American Elite 3" -- different from the regular "Elite 3."  The American Elite 3 and Elite 4 are dual-compound tires which, as a previous noter mentioned, have a harder rubber formulation in the middle (for long wear) and a softer compound on the sides (for cornering grip).  He told me that the American Elite 3 is about as good a tire as the Elite 4, and both are superior to the Elite 3.  All the whitewalls, he said -- which came standard on the '14-'15 Classics and  '14 and up Vintages -- are American Elites.

I asked about Dunlop vs. other brands. I was a little concerned because the Dunlops I had on my Honda Shadow ACE were kind of scary.  (The back tire broke away a few times under hard braking, and that bike doesn't even have a very strong rear brake.)  He told me that the Dunlop D404 -- what I had on the Honda -- is an inexpensive tire used on lots of lower-priced bikes.  The Elite 3s and 4s we have on our Indians are a whole different animal.  I was glad to hear that.
John

'15 red & black Chief Classic

Gone but not forgotten:
'01 Honda Shadow ACE 750
'01 Yamaha Virago 250