Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Fuel Moto PCVX vs. Dobeck EJK controller  (Read 896 times)

Offline Chris Foth

Re: Fuel Moto PCVX vs. Dobeck EJK controller
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 03:08:36 AM »
I really want to do this but..... Voiding warentee is a bit scary.
I too am scared of voiding warranty, spoke with the service manager at my dealer about this and he said it absolutely will NOT void the warranty unless the problem can be proven to be caused by the controller, for example you lean it to much to get mileage and burn holes in the Piston. He told me that unless Indian can prove 100% that the controller caused the problem (such as example above) Indian must by law honor warantee. I didn't check his facts

Offline SkipII

• Defining Moments
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 06:37:21 AM »
I think every U.S. motorists -- car or bike -- ought to be given a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act when they buy the vehicle, much like in the U.S. we have to acknowledge understanding or receipt of HIPAA medical privacy rules at the doctor's office.

The law simply says that a modification itself cannot void a warranty. The factory (not the dealer) has to prove that a failure was the result of the modification. The burden is on the factory; however the factory does have more attorneys, so you can be right but be in for a fight.

The ECU issue is evolving law. Manufacturers are trying hard to have ECUs covered by different laws that treat them as intellectual property -- essentially saying you do not own the ECU and its software, you are only "leasing" it, and therefore have no right to modify it. Even if they win that absurd distortion of the law, a change to the ECU cannot result in a blanket voiding of the whole warranty.

If -- and only if it is true that Indian can spot a non-authorized re-flash of the ECU, you likely would lose a case on a failure that could be traced to fuel mixture or timing.

To this point, all I've heard is just that hearsay. I'm ready for a dealer to do a blind test of a stock and then PVCX bike ECU to see if there is evidence of the modification. I am wondering if the issue is that the ECU does keep track of re-flashes and if the records on the bike do not match up with those flashes, they assume one of them is non-factory. I have spoken with Dynojet on this directly and they insist there is no trace left of the PVCX flash when you return to stock, but that may not account for the simple flash record, if that is the case.
The shortest distance between two points is boring.

Offline SkipII

• Defining Moments
Re: Fuel Moto PVCX vs. Dobeck EJK controller
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
We (me included) have been debating the legal issues around warranty and the PVCX. I called my dealer today, who is simply one of the best service managers I have ever met in 45 years of cars and bikes, and posed it to him, since he is a reseller of Dynojet/FuelMoto as well as a Polaris dealer under their scrutiny.

I thought his response, used with his permission, is worthwhile:

I think Polaris is very aware on who their customers are. They are the American V-twin, performance-minded, tired-of-Harley customer. I honestly don't think there will be many, if any motor issues. I feel confident that I have a good enough relationship with the Techline guys where they are all honest smart guys. they know that making a motor run BETTER is not gonna harm the motor. It does the opposite. Polaris would be making a huge mistake if they deny the warranty claims based on that. Harley built a huge market with their Screaming Eagle parts and I'd venture to say even after paying the huge fines from the EPA on that they probably still made a large profit from that. Indian is doing a better job of staying EPA compliant. Now if somebody was to go to a tune for a different cam setup like the woods cams that FuelMoto is working on? I'd say they would have a valid claim to deny warranty. But like your bike. Stock pipes, indian air box, PVCX tune? I would fight them all day on that. or even all indian accessories, cams, exhaust, intake, with a PVCX tune that improved timing, fuel and performance. NO WAY that is gonna cause motor damage.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:04:50 PM by SkipII »
The shortest distance between two points is boring.

Offline 2Cool

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »
Skip, thanks for the quote.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. - Ernest Hemingway

One man with courage makes a majority. - Andrew Jackson

Offline Mikekoz13

• "It's an Indian. The FIRST American motorcycle."
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
Great info. And I tend to agree. :)
Proud owner of:

2014 Chieftain #4744, Indian Red
Stage 1 Fish Tail Exhaust
Saddlebag Speakers
Low Back Rest w/ Luggage Rack
Passenger Highway Bars