Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Handlebars for my 14 Vintage  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Papa T

Handlebars for my 14 Vintage
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
Looking for some input and suggestions for handlebars for my 14 vintage. I have to reach to far for my stock bars and long rides are not the most comfortable for me. I thought about the 2" pull back bars but I am not a huge fan of the stock look. I have been debating between either 16"apes or beach bars, most likely the ones from klock werks. I have sat on a dark horse with the apes and it actually felt fairly comfortable. Dropping them back an inch or so would have kept the same look and made them even more comfortable. Anyone have any ideas out there, things they've tried and liked or hated?

Offline SkipII

• Defining Moments
Re: Handlebars for my 14 Vintage
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
Springfield bars. Closer than the close-reach bars, very comfortable with a lower angle.
The shortest distance between two points is boring.

Offline shovelhead

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
I also had a problem with the reach on the stock bars.  So I changed to  the 16" Apes on my '14.  I went with the Indian style made for the Dark Horse. 

Offline Whispering_Wind

• IMRG Website
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:26:39 PM »
On my '15 Vintage I had the reduced reach (2" inches further back) for 18 Months.  Still felt uncomfortable and slow maneuvers were still challenging. Changed over to the Springfield bars last fall. Much, much better. Slow maneuvers are no problem, cruising comfort improved.  All cables fit fine.
"There is no religion higher than Truth"  -  HP Blavatsky

Offline New User Name

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 01:03:46 PM »
I never liked the stock handlebars on my 2015 Chief Vintage.  They caused me to reach too far forward, putting strain on my lower back.  I'm over six feet and have long arms, but they just hit me wrong.  Plus they look so ridiculous, like the handlebars on a grass seed spreader.  Seriously, check them out in profile, especially without the windshield. 

I recently changed to the Indian beach bars, which don't require a longer clutch cable.  They're a vast improvement but still don't come back very far, though the angle at the wrist is much better.  I changed them myself in only about three hours using the fantastic directions posted by a guy on another Indian forum.  An Indian dealer wanted three and a half hours labor, around $340, to do this!  And I assume they've done it before and wouldn't have had to learn so many things the hard way like I did.  Plus they wanted $200 for the beach bars.  I found a set elsewhere for much less and saved almost five hundred dollars overall.

I'll give these Indian beach bars a chance. If they aren't quite right for me I'll try the Springfield bars or go with the Klock Werks prairie bars, which are pricey and do require a change in clutch cable, which is included.  I'd like to try the Springfield bars, which I've test ridden and like a lot, but for some reason they cost around $300 and there aren't many used ones or take-offs available yet.  For anybody wondering, I've tried apehangers and not only do I not like the look, I found them extremely uncomfortable -- while I fully recognize that so many swear by them for their appearance and comfort.  We all like different things, we were all put together differently, and we're all coming apart differently, too. 

I strongly recommend that anybody who wants to change their handlebars try it themselves instead of getting ripped off by an unscrupulous dealer.  As I understand you don't even have to remove the fairing on the Chieftain and Roadmaster models.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:47:33 AM by New User Name »

Offline IWI Tavor

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 05:11:48 AM »
My left wrist goes completely numb within an hour of riding my 14 Vintage.
Still trying to decide what to get for bars.. Or, maybe something to isolate the Vibration or whatever may be affecting my wrist.
I don't have this issue with my Road King, or any other model HD that I have owned.

Offline New User Name

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:24:43 PM »
I've been puzzled by the odd-shaped handlebars that Polaris puts on Indian motorcycles, especially the Classic and Vintage models.  They may or may not be the same handlebars as are on the Roadmaster and Chieftain but they're not as obvious just looking at them, and I've never ridden one of the models with a fairing.  I've also heard they changed the handlebars on the Vintage from the 2014 to 2015 model year, but as an owner of a 2015 I can assure you that if they did, they didn't improve them.  Not only are they terribly uncomfortable but they look really weird.  Then Indian came out with the Springfield model with a more traditional bend to the handlebars, which provide a more aesthetically pleasing and comfortable riding experience.  But DAMN, it shouldn't cost somebody more than $500 to change out handlebars, between purchasing the new bars and paying for a ridiculous number of hours for labor, especially when the clutch cable wouldn't have to be changed.  A dealership shouldn't be charging for more than two hours for labor to change out the handlebars alone.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:51:47 AM by New User Name »

Offline New User Name

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 04:53:18 AM »
Looking for some input and suggestions for handlebars for my 14 vintage. I have to reach to far for my stock bars and long rides are not the most comfortable for me. I thought about the 2" pull back bars but I am not a huge fan of the stock look. I have been debating between either 16"apes or beach bars, most likely the ones from klock werks. I have sat on a dark horse with the apes and it actually felt fairly comfortable. Dropping them back an inch or so would have kept the same look and made them even more comfortable. Anyone have any ideas out there, things they've tried and liked or hated?

I'm curious, Papa T, what have you done about your handlebars?

Offline Senior Chief Vintage

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »
  Didn't someone on hear say Chieftain bars would fit on a Vintage? I can get a set for free if they will fit. Also New User Name, was there any problems running the electrical wires, mainly taking them on and off the switches?
  Thanks in advance.
2014 Chief Vintage #0217
       Springfield Blue

Offline New User Name

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »
  Didn't someone on hear say Chieftain bars would fit on a Vintage? I can get a set for free if they will fit. Also New User Name, was there any problems running the electrical wires, mainly taking them on and off the switches?
  Thanks in advance.

It was extremely easy to remove the wire bundles from the old handlebars and to run them through the new bars.  It took only a few minutes, being careful with the connectors on the end.  They unplug from the main wiring harness under the headlight nacelle.  You just have to keep track of the correct wires to reconnect when you reassemble it all.  I used colored electrical tape and colored markers so they'd be easy to match up again.

Here is the link to the step-by-step directions.  He did a great job, though I didn't find exactly the same things he describes, such as extra wires that are attached to nothing in the wire bundles inside the handlebars.  It could be because mine is a 2015 Vintage and his is a 2014 Vintage.  He also doesn't tell you what size the hardware is or how tight it should be torqued, but he gives you plenty of information to do this job.

http://www.austinmotorscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Changing-the-handlebar-on-an-Indian-Chief-Vintage.pdf
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:48:21 PM by New User Name »

Offline RedCloud

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
I hated the bars on my 16 Chieftain " liked my 14 bars on the one I totaled". So I put the mid rise bars on and love them. Not hard to do at all but you may need to change clutch cable from the stock " 16 already came with extended cable".
Anyone interested I have the stock Chieftain bars I will sell cheep, I'll never use them & they are like new only used for a few weeks.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Redcloud, 2014 Red Chieftain #6682, Susquehanna IMRG 1903,
03 Harley FB

Dennis

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember. But they kept but one--They promised to take our land...and they took it." Chief Red Cloud of the Oglala Lakota Sioux

Offline Senior Chief Vintage

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »
  Thank you New User Name for that link! I also have a maintenance manual coming so I will also have torques etc.
  Still would like to know if Chieftain bars will fit a Vintage?
2014 Chief Vintage #0217
       Springfield Blue

Offline Eddiec

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
I hated the bars on my 16 Chieftain " liked my 14 bars on the one I totaled". So I put the mid rise bars on and love them. Not hard to do at all but you may need to change clutch cable from the stock " 16 already came with extended cable".
Anyone interested I have the stock Chieftain bars I will sell cheep, I'll never use them & they are like new only used for a few weeks.

Dennis, hold on to them for me brother.  I'll get there eventually, hopefully sooner than later.

Offline RedCloud

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »

Dennis, hold on to them for me brother.  I'll get there eventually, hopefully sooner than later.
Ok Ed didnt know you still wanted them, there here when ever buddy. There not in the way or bothering me so its good pick them up when ever. You want to put them on here I'll give you a hand no problem. Actually great to hear from you & hope is all well down your way .

Redcloud, 2014 Red Chieftain #6682, Susquehanna IMRG 1903,
03 Harley FB

Dennis

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember. But they kept but one--They promised to take our land...and they took it." Chief Red Cloud of the Oglala Lakota Sioux

Offline New User Name

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
  Thank you New User Name for that link! I also have a maintenance manual coming so I will also have torques etc.
  Still would like to know if Chieftain bars will fit a Vintage?

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about the Chieftain or Roadmaster models. I've never so much as sat on either one.