Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Leather (Saddlebag) Care  (Read 14307 times)

Offline DriftlessMike

• Full Member-10016
Leather (Saddlebag) Care
« on: May 12, 2015, 06:00:34 pm »
Yesterday, I put a fresh coat of Fiebing's Saddle Tan oil based dye on my Vintage bags and seat.  I prolly overdid it, the bags are darker than I hoped, but will fade somewhat over the summer.  I also have one jar each of Skidmore's conditioner and their beeswax waterproofing.  Is there a minimum length of time I should wait between the dye job and the conditioner?  Between the conditioner and the beeswax?

Thanks

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2014 Blue Vintage

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline Mike

• Hero Member-10018
    Re: Leather (Saddlebag) Care
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 07:41:39 am »
    Yesterday, I put a fresh coat of Fiebing's Saddle Tan oil based dye on my Vintage bags and seat.  I prolly overdid it, the bags are darker than I hoped, but will fade somewhat over the summer.  I also have one jar each of Skidmore's conditioner and their beeswax waterproofing.  Is there a minimum length of time I should wait between the dye job and the conditioner?  Between the conditioner and the beeswax?

Thanks
    Mine hasn't faded yet.

Offline awammack

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:05:29 pm »
    At least 24 hours and I would make it 48 just to be sure. Next time dilute the oil base Saddle tan oil 50/50 with Neesfeet oil. Then apply lightly, let dry 24 hours and reapply if you want it darker. Wait 24 to 48 hours before applying Satin sealer. Don't use the Gloss sealer. That would make the finish to shinny and plastic like finish. Wait a month before using saddle soap, that too will make it shine. Best to let it breathe and soak in first.

awammack

Offline Mike

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »
    At least 24 hours and I would make it 48 just to be sure. Next time dilute the oil base Saddle tan oil 50/50 with Neesfeet oil. Then apply lightly, let dry 24 hours and reapply if you want it darker. Wait 24 to 48 hours before applying Satin sealer. Don't use the Gloss sealer. That would make the finish to shinny and plastic like finish. Wait a month before using saddle soap, that too will make it shine. Best to let it breathe and soak in first.

awammack

Man, Mine took maybe 2 hours from start to finish.  Impatient guy, I am.

Offline arayaexist

• Registered-2
    « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:42:58 pm »

Read this much fun I have read, understand And I'm not clear. And it is a very good information.

Offline IndianEdT

• Hero Member-10018
      • IMRG Charlotte, NC
    « Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:25:42 am »

Thanks

Mike, I just got 4oz. bottle of the Saddle Tan, is this enough?  How much did you use?
    EdT
    Indian Ed T
    (Red) Vintage #771

Offline awammack

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:14 pm »
    The times I mention are arbitrary, just my view. Leather breathes and time allows just that. Otherwise, some think rubbing it in is the answer only to find it roughshod the surface and the leather begins to look like a suede finish with dark spots or non-uniform color. Careful and patient beats rash and speed ...just saying.

awammack

Offline DriftlessMike

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

Thanks

Mike, I just got 4oz. bottle of the Saddle Tan, is this enough?  How much did you use?
    EdT

Used most of the 4 oz, but it is enough.  If I had to do it again, I would probably cut it 2 parts dye to 1 part neatsfoot oil. It came out pretty dark. 

BTW, the Skidmore's is an excellent product.  My upcoming ride report will have more to say.
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2014 Blue Vintage

Offline bwana6

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:56:25 pm »
    Manual on the 47 HD says to use straight linseed oil. Thats what old timers used on holsters and belts. Cheap and easy to use and stays soaked in for some time. I checked the manual for the 52 Indian and surprise............nothing mentioned for leather bag care.

Offline jjr

• Registered-2
    « Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 07:38:41 pm »
    I use:

This:
    www.goldeagle.com/product/303-automotive-tonneau-cover-convertible-top-cleaner?gclid=CNbF-Ire2swCFQ8vaQod2ToCrA&gclsrc=aw.ds

And that.
    www.goldeagle.com/product/303-marine-recreation-aerospace-protectant

Works great and simple process

Thanks
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:14:00 am by jjr »
    JJR

Offline Ohio Chief

• Registered-2
    « Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:37 am »
    Try Leather Keep an Aussie leather protector for boots, works great no color change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SkipII

• Hero Member-10018
      • Defining Moments
    « Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:25 pm »
    You don't mention whether you have a '14 Vintage or later. The care regimen is different since the leathers are totally different.

'14 leather is uncoated, full grain cowhide. Use linseed oil if you like, although just because grandpappy used it on his holster doesn't mean it is the best. Skidmore and the like are great. Most UV protectants specifically say not to use on uncoated leather.

'15 leather is split leather with an impervious vinyl coating. You can apply all the oils and magic potions you like, but it is still vinyl, so feel free to use any product designed for vinyl. Beeswax products would be fine again even here to the extent it helps seal seams and avoids some of the friction that will eventually abrade the surface.

The shortest distance between two points is boring.

Offline CHFTN

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 07:51:59 pm »
    I can't comment on the dye as I haven't done mine yet, but the Skidmores I know, I put a heavy coat of the cream about every 3-4 weeks, let it soak in about 24 hours, then buff it with a microfibre cloth, the beeswax waterproofing I only apply once or twice a year, usually before I go on a long multi day trip where I might get into a heavy rain..... Skidmores is a great product
    Kent

2014 Black Chieftain

Offline Bo

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 10:44:52 am »
    had mine dyed by heather's leather last summer. Wayne the owner does a lot of work for Indian of Charlotte.
    And all he does after dying is to oil it with EVOO. That all . When the leather starts looking dry just put on a good coat . it waterproofs and hydrates the leather.
    Bo
    vintage #485

Offline RickkciR

• Hero Member-10018
    • Iron Indian Riders
      • Texas Indian Bikers
    « Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 11:49:12 am »
    had mine dyed by heather's leather last summer. Wayne the owner does a lot of work for Indian of Charlotte.
    And all he does after dying is to oil it with EVOO. That all . When the leather starts looking dry just put on a good coat . it waterproofs and hydrates the leather.

EVOO  .. smh .. couldn't just spell that out? :)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:51:41 am by RickkciR »