Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Instructions On Installing Thunder Stroke Air Cleaner?  (Read 7413 times)

Offline SeniorChieftain

Re: Instructions On Installing Thunder Stroke Air Cleaner?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
The elusive clip was missing from mine and others.  I found that the existing clip on the TB worked fine to secure the wire.  As for the "S" shaped hose, it has a long end and short end.  I can't remember (without looking) which end went where.  I'll take a look when I get home.

Yeah I figured out the hose and a work around for the retaining clip. So if the throttle body isn't connected electrically via the harness how does the valve open and close to allow air into the engine?
2014 Red Chieftain

" Followers like to follow..... Leaders buy Indians."

Freedom Performance True Duals, Indian Thunderstroke AC, Corbin Custom Seat, Indian Highway Pegs, Passenger Highway Bars, saddle bag Lid rails, Indian Chrome Fender Tips.

Offline Sargent

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »
SeniorChieftain... I just found this from one of my older posts:

Bluedawg, mine did not come with instructions, either.  I did, however, print a copy of the instructions you posted last week.  They were very beneficial, thank you.

Oh... and my kit didn't include the tie strap and clip for the TB wiring, but the OEM clip that was already on the throttle body worked just fine.

Also, for anyone installing this AC, the "s-shaped" crankcase vent tube has a long and short leg... Long leg goes to engine, short leg to AC housing.
Jeff
'16 Blk/Red Scout (tribute bike)
'03 Blk/Red Gilroy Chief
'14 Black Chieftain
U.S. Air Force, Retired
Science Teacher, Retired

Football & Motorcycles... Cowboys & Indians

Offline Sargent

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
... So if the throttle body isn't connected electrically via the harness how does the valve open and close to allow air into the engine?
You lost me on that one, my friend.  The harness cannon plug should remain hooked up to the throttle body.
Jeff
'16 Blk/Red Scout (tribute bike)
'03 Blk/Red Gilroy Chief
'14 Black Chieftain
U.S. Air Force, Retired
Science Teacher, Retired

Football & Motorcycles... Cowboys & Indians

Offline Headshot

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »
The elusive clip was missing from mine and others.  I found that the existing clip on the TB worked fine to secure the wire.  As for the "S" shaped hose, it has a long end and short end.  I can't remember (without looking) which end went where.  I'll take a look when I get home.

Yeah I figured out the hose and a work around for the retaining clip. So if the throttle body isn't connected electrically via the harness how does the valve open and close to allow air into the engine?

HUH? Its ride-by-wire - no wire, no go. The TB needs to be told that the throttle is being twisted.

FWIW my dealer has told me that the oil seepage is very common with our bikes. I get oil in my air filter every oil change. I was wondering if this was an issue on the aftermarket filters as far as the oil just dripping out onto the bike after it bypasses into the air filter.

Makes me think I should be checking my oil level a little more often, and that I though I was over excessive crankcase oil weep years ago.

Check my oil yesterday, and it was VERY close to the full line. Considering how much oil its been expelling, I would hazard a guess it may have been overfilled in the last service.

I've got oil spray/mist over the top of the primary and the left hand plastic side cover.

I'm thinking two things:

1) perhaps I can make a little "dam" at the bottom of the teardrop to catch the oil in the hope it will get sucked through the system, before being picked up by the air flow and flung all over the side of the bike

2) perhaps the teardrop, being the resting place for the excess oil, is a little too far away from the throttle body intake.

Offline SeniorChieftain

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »
... So if the throttle body isn't connected electrically via the harness how does the valve open and close to allow air into the engine?
You lost me on that one, my friend.  The harness cannon plug should remain hooked up to the throttle body.

It does, I'm finished with the install now not sure what I was thinking....   Appreciate the help.  Typical Indian accessory no instructions and missing a part that threw me off. Looks real nice though....
2014 Red Chieftain

" Followers like to follow..... Leaders buy Indians."

Freedom Performance True Duals, Indian Thunderstroke AC, Corbin Custom Seat, Indian Highway Pegs, Passenger Highway Bars, saddle bag Lid rails, Indian Chrome Fender Tips.

Offline SkipII

• Defining Moments
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 07:30:56 AM »
This is an old post, but rather than start a new one...

There were no instructions included in my Stage 1 filter (no, not even behind the mounting cardboard), so I'm wondering about filter maintenance.

I assume this is not an oiled media like K&N. So, just wash it occasionally?
The shortest distance between two points is boring.

Offline Axxman

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 08:52:14 AM »
This is an old post, but rather than start a new one...

There were no instructions included in my Stage 1 filter (no, not even behind the mounting cardboard), so I'm wondering about filter maintenance.

I assume this is not an oiled media like K&N. So, just wash it occasionally?
[/quote

You are correct, wash occasionally, No oil.
2014 Indian Chief Vintage Black
IMRG  President
Maine Pine tree chapter #1968