Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Horns aplenty..  (Read 289 times)

Offline af.chief

Horns aplenty..
« on: December 30, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »
Anyone have their horn honk unexpectedly?  Mine will honk occasionally when I first pull out.  Scares the hell out of me every time as I'm never expecting it.  Only honks once then never does it again the rest of the day.  Thoughts??

'Young at heart, Slightly older in other places'

15 Chieftain
76 Harley FLH
USAF Crew Chief 1973-2000

Offline Cowboy

Re: Horns aplenty..
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 01:23:22 AM »

Your horn is letting you know that your FOB is not communicating well with your bike.  Your FOB battery is likely low on power.
Richard
'14 Indian Chief Classic, Blue, #1317
“The last time that damn cowboy laughed at me, I shot him. Of course, I waited until another gunslinger gunned him down first, but nevertheless, I still shot him.”

Offline Pocono_ACE

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »

Your horn is letting you know that your FOB is not communicating well with your bike.  Your FOB battery is likely low on power.

It's done it to me right after I've installed a fresh battery in the fob.  Very weird.

Sometimes people in parking lots think I'm honking at them.
John

'15 red & black Chief Classic

Gone but not forgotten:
'01 Honda Shadow ACE 750
'01 Yamaha Virago 250

Offline jayred1

• Gotta love Red
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »
Anyone have their horn honk unexpectedly?  Mine will honk occasionally when I first pull out.  Scares the hell out of me every time as I'm never expecting it.  Only honks once then never does it again the rest of the day.  Thoughts??
Likely a low fob battery, but it could also be due to interference from metallic objects next to the fob in your pocket (keys, phone, knife). If it's close to the fob, the RF signal can be weakened.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline af.chief

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
Guess its time to change battery, or at least have a crew-ready spare in bag.  Thanks for replies. 
Hope all my Indian riding Brothers have a great New Year....
'Young at heart, Slightly older in other places'

15 Chieftain
76 Harley FLH
USAF Crew Chief 1973-2000

Offline Nappi

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:53:58 PM »
Good idea to keep a spare battery in your saddle bag.  If you do so you will also want to toss in there a small phillips screwdriver (like a jeweler's screwdriver) so you can open the fob case.  I have a small reversible driver with phillips on one end and flat blade on the other.  Flat blade (or a knife) is handy for separating the two halves once you remove the screw.  Also helps to pop out battery.

Offline jayred1

• Gotta love Red
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »
IMO, there is no need to carry a battery and let it age - or get lost when taking other stuff out of the bag.  Here's why:
1. You'll get a warning light flashing on the dash and/or the horn honk described when your fob battery is getting weak.  When this happens, go to the store and buy a new/fresh battery.
2.  If you fail #1 and your fob is dead, you can use the PIN code to start the bike.  When this happens, go to the store and buy a new/fresh battery.

Offline splitt

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 05:29:37 PM »
IMO, there is no need to carry a battery and let it age - or get lost when taking other stuff out of the bag.  Here's why:
1. You'll get a warning light flashing on the dash and/or the horn honk described when your fob battery is getting weak.  When this happens, go to the store and buy a new/fresh battery.
2.  If you fail #1 and your fob is dead, you can use the PIN code to start the bike.  When this happens, go to the store and buy a new/fresh battery.

And you can pick up CR2032 batteries just about anywhere. (Walmart, pharmacy, hardware store, auto parts store, etc.)
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian."  Henry Ford