Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: Chieftain Intake High Flow and Stage 1 question  (Read 449 times)

Offline 2000Chief

Chieftain Intake High Flow and Stage 1 question
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
Indian has both the high flow and stage 1 air cleaner. I like the looks of the high flow, do you think there will a power difference between the two? I will be installing vance and hines turndowns on the bike, will probably go stage 2 cams unless the work the bugs out of throttle response on the stage 3. Thanks

Offline Indijoe

Re: Chieftain Intake High Flow and Stage 1 question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »
Have the hi flow on my Classic, like it..  As for the stage 3 cams w/big bore kit I would imagine, didn't know there was a problem with the throttle response.  Do you have info on it?

Offline 2000Chief

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »

Offline ndncowboy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »
Indian has both the high flow and stage 1 air cleaner. I like the looks of the high flow, do you think there will a power difference between the two? I will be installing vance and hines turndowns on the bike, will probably go stage 2 cams unless the work the bugs out of throttle response on the stage 3. Thanks
The stage 1 is also a high flow as far as I know. At least that's what was sold for my stage 1 before there was any other filter kits for Indians. There shouldn't be a performance difference or there are a bunch running around with sub-par breathers for stage 1 and 2. I even have an extra foam filter on mine to catch dust since I have to ride down 3 miles of gravel just to get out or come home and I still see no problems.
The only reason some people are still alive is because it's against the law to shoot them.
American Legion Rider

Offline Kawliga

• '14 Red Vintage '15 Chieftain Red & Ivory
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
Chief2000: I have the Stage 2 setup with the Indian round big sucker air filter and Vance and Hines. Seems to me to be good combination and performance is superior to stock. Although, I have approx. 25K on pipes and it is noisy to me as Im sure wraps have deteriorated . Been in heavy rain and dust while out in Big Bend country and have had no problems with setup. Hope this helps you .I would recommend either air filter as I feel the bike run a little cooler and permanence is worth it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:08:19 PM by Kawliga »
"Kawliga always wore his Sunday feathers
 and carried an ole black hawk"
 Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Roadie

• In Country Vietnam MC - Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 04:00:46 PM »
Chief2000: I have the Stage 2 setup with the Indian round big sucker air filter and Vance and Hines. Seems to me to be good combination and performance is superior to stock. Although, I have approx. 25K on pipes and it is noisy to me as Im sure wraps have deteriorated . Been in heavy rain and dust while out in Big Bend country and have had no problems with setup. Hope this helps you .I would recommend either air filter as I feel the bike run a little cooler and permanence is worth it.
I have the same setup except I have the TAB performance slip-ons with Zombie baffles and have experienced no problems with heavy rain here in the Texas Hill Country.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

>------->  >------->  >------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

Offline RedCloud

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
Yes you will like any other bike because the engine can breathe better. You will need to get it reflashed " which comes with both pipes and breather" or a tuner to get the best results.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Redcloud, 2014 Red Chieftain #6682, Susquehanna IMRG 1903,
03 Harley FB

Dennis

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember. But they kept but one--They promised to take our land...and they took it." Chief Red Cloud of the Oglala Lakota Sioux