Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: seat modifications  (Read 18692 times)

Offline BadX

• Jr. Member-10015
Re: seat modifications
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:21 am »
I am 6'2 so I need to be back further the stock seat kills me on long rides.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the seat pan where the backrest mechanism  goes up into it which is what prevents from being able to move the riding position back much at all on these seats.

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline gilbos440rt

• Sr. Member-10017
    • Guess I'm a Harley...INDIAN...Davidson Man
    « Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 09:48:01 am »
    Hey Allen the sitting position is ok for me but the foam is way to soft, I beat it into submission in about 100 miles then I get the butt burn, you got some firmer (think Corbin) foam, not sure about gel, heard about hot spots with it?

Good to see you on an Indian bro, I still got my old Roadie with the Ipod holder lol also!

Offline RedCloud

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 05:42:12 pm »
    I had my seat redone at Ocean City Bike Week I believe it was the seat doctor or something like that they put gel packs inside and much more comfortable . If you do want the name of the people that did it I do have their card I just have to find it. Lol
    Redcloud, 2016 Red Chieftain "totaled my 14", Susquehanna IMRG 1903,
    03 Harley FB

Dennis

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember. But they kept but one--They promised to take our land...and they took it." Chief Red Cloud of the Oglala Lakota Sioux

Offline BadX

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 07:11:49 pm »
    Hey Allen the sitting position is ok for me but the foam is way to soft, I beat it into submission in about 100 miles then I get the butt burn, you got some firmer (think Corbin) foam, not sure about gel, heard about hot spots with it?

Good to see you on an Indian bro, I still got my old Roadie with the Ipod holder lol also!

Yeah, the stock foam is way to soft and firming it up isn't a problem. 

Sold my Road Glide to buy my Chieftain ;)

Offline Dan_Frisbie

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 07:44:47 pm »
    Mean City Cycles rebuilt my seat and it's better, but still not what I want. I'm sure that Mean City would do it again to try and satisfy me, but shipping is about $100 each way.
    I may try the Airhawk.

Offline Catalac

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 11:33:59 pm »
    Was going to send my stock seat to Fisher seats this winter to move seating position back and put in firmer foam more as an experiment than anything, I have a corbin solo and pillon and it is very firm and does move me back, only issue I have is the wife she won't ride with the small corbin pillon I got.
    14 Thunder Black Chieftain

Offline BadX

• Jr. Member-10015
    « Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 05:49:22 am »
    Mean City Cycles rebuilt my seat and it's better, but still not what I want. I'm sure that Mean City would do it again to try and satisfy me, but shipping is about $100 each way.
    I may try the Airhawk.

Dan, Sorry to hear the seat isn't exactly what you are looking for but we do everything we can to make our customers happy and we would be more than happy to make some changes to the seat at no charge.  I am not sure where you got about $100 shipping each way, I looked it up and the return shipping to you from us was $32.07 and you must have shipped it to us in a large box because shipping to Florida should have been in the $15-20 range. 

Offline Mike

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 08:33:54 am »
    I may try the Airhawk.

Did you have the thing personally delivered by limousine?  $100 from FL to NC? Ouch!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Hero Member-10018
    • "It's an Indian. The FIRST American motorcycle."
    « Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 11:04:47 am »
    Mine was delivered for $27 (if I remember correctly!) from NC to PA..

Box size makes a world of difference in shipping pricing on large items. Mine was packed so that it just fit with some packing around it.
    The world is full of dumb asses. Don't let a dumb ass ruin your day.

Proud owner of:

2014 Chieftain #4744, Indian Red
    Stage 1 Fish Tail Exhaust
    Saddlebag Speakers
    Low Back Rest w/ Luggage Rack
    Passenger Highway Bars
    Infinite Highway Pegs
    "Dick's" Passenger Floorboards
    "Dick's" Horn Cover Insert

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 11:21:14 am »
    My stock rider seat is good, my wife would like something a little more on the passenger pad.  8)
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline Mikekoz13

• Hero Member-10018
    • "It's an Indian. The FIRST American motorcycle."
    « Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »
    My stock rider seat is good, my wife would like something a little more on the passenger pad.  8)

Kevin..... talk to Mean City Cycles. I didn't have my rider seat modified ... only the passenger seat.
    Allen took out the forward slope, sloped it ever so slightly rearward, and changed out some of the foam.
    No more complaints from the wife!!! $90 well spent!
    The world is full of dumb asses. Don't let a dumb ass ruin your day.

Proud owner of:

2014 Chieftain #4744, Indian Red
    Stage 1 Fish Tail Exhaust
    Saddlebag Speakers
    Low Back Rest w/ Luggage Rack
    Passenger Highway Bars
    Infinite Highway Pegs
    "Dick's" Passenger Floorboards
    "Dick's" Horn Cover Insert

Offline Dan_Frisbie

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #41 on: November 13, 2014, 08:29:51 pm »
    I may try the Airhawk.

Dan, Sorry to hear the seat isn't exactly what you are looking for but we do everything we can to make our customers happy and we would be more than happy to make some changes to the seat at no charge.  I am not sure where you got about $100 shipping each way, I looked it up and the return shipping to you from us was $32.07 and you must have shipped it to us in a large box because shipping to Florida should have been in the $15-20 range.
    I am out of town, but will double check on the shipping when I return home. I did email Allen and will send the seat back to you after Thanksgiving.
    Thanks.

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #42 on: November 14, 2014, 07:04:22 am »

Kevin..... talk to Mean City Cycles. I didn't have my rider seat modified ... only the passenger seat.
    Allen took out the forward slope, sloped it ever so slightly rearward, and changed out some of the foam.
    No more complaints from the wife!!! $90 well spent!

Thanks Mike. I exchanged emails with Allen and he was really helpful. I'm just a little skeptical that change will be sufficient. As small as my wife is, she still wants the seat wider. I'm also in contact with Heather's Leathers on this... The saga continues.  8)
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline ahannah40

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »
    I may try the Airhawk.

Mean City Cycles did the Supreme package (gel and foam) on my Vintage seat and added a seat heater.  I'm very happy with the result.  Long rides no longer give me any seat discomfort and the heater is great.  Never had one before.  I'm getting ready to send my FJR seat into them for modification as well.  Highly recommend and my shipping was less than $30
    2014 Red Vintage #230
    2009 Yamaha FJR
    2019 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ES
    2018 Honda Gold Wing

Offline EddieZoom

• Sr. Member-10017
    « Reply #44 on: November 14, 2014, 04:42:56 pm »
    Anybody do the "Impact Gel" option from Mean City Cycles ?

http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=324&category_id=186&Itemid=226

Not looking to change seating positions for the Chieftain, just more comfort. Had Mustang saddle for a decade, the stock Indian has me squirming after 100 miles.