Welcome to the Indian Chief Motorcycle Forum

Why join our Indian Chief motorcycle forum?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support for your Indian Chief or Chieftain motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to regsiter  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!  This forum has some of the most friendly and sincere people you will ever meet!!

Author Topic: First 1901 Indians from Polaris  (Read 52360 times)

Offline FastFred450

• Full Member-10016
Re: First 1901 Indians from Polaris
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
Hi all,

I have a Springfield Blue Chieftain #372. Purchased at Mom's in Foxboro, MA.
I seen your bike when I picked mine up. I think they where delivered together. Looks good and have fun!  8)

ChiefMotorcycleForum
  • Advertisement

Offline Chieftan1400

• Registered-2
    • Chieftan1400
    « Reply #76 on: November 26, 2013, 12:51:40 pm »

Wow - so interesting to see so much interest and planning going on for a club that does not yet exist.  This must be a weird bunch - I like it!  Add me to the list:  Chief Classic, #1317, Blue, Honolulu, Hawaii, and I can be contacted through this forum.

Patches?  With badge number and color-coded threading?  I like it!

An anniversary ride?  I like it!  Personally, I vote (is this a democratically-run not-yet-formed club?) for organizing the ride to correspond to the date and location of next year's Sturgis event.  I am being totally selfish on this.  I am already planning on attending Sturgis next year as my final stop after first traveling from California up to the Arctic Circle through Canada.  It is not as stupid as it sounds and has been done before by other riders, although it is not for the timid.  It might be interesting to be the first to do it on a 1901, then glide into Sturgis on my way back to California.

Really, if this club gets off the ground, I can see Indian picking us up for full sponsorship (in similar fashion as Harley does for the HOG).  Is that good or bad?

Do we have a club handshake yet?

Richard
    I like the patch....

Offline Chieftan1400

• Registered-2
    • Chieftan1400
    « Reply #77 on: November 26, 2013, 12:55:18 pm »
    So, for a little fun, here is another idea for a badge.  I liked the other riders' ideas that the badge should be color-coded and contain the issue number of that owner's bike, and that it should be similar to Indian's other logos (although that would require permission from Polaris).  So, here are a couple of examples, with subtle issue numbers included.  Bill, I do not know the color of your bike, but you can get the idea... 

Should the badge also indicate the model (Classic, Vintage, Chieftain)?

Richard
    Yes, think it should have model, and maybe fit 1901 in there somewhere...

Offline MotoRace

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #78 on: November 26, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »
    All,

I understand the desire to have a 1901 club and would like it to be part of this site.  We will add a separate board for members that want to post information specific to 1901 club members if that is the desire.  We can even make it a private group that only members can view if that is the desire.   I will post a poll so the members can take a vote.  Two members have reached out to me regarding concern of a potential conflict of interest with the club and the already established forum.

Chieftan1400 and I have been going back and forth via email about integrating his "potential" club into this site, but from the context of the emails it seems he wants it to be very mcuh independent of the rest of the site, which requires a lot of programming and additional work on my part.   It also makes upgrades more difficult for simple things like security patches, which anyone who has been on here since the beginning knows, I apply right away.

I checked the website email address today and found that at least a few people replied to PM's from Chieftan1400 regarding the club instead of logging into the site and replying via PM.  What this means to me is that he has been privately PMing a lot of people recruiting them for this club, in private and never asked the site owners (Matt and I) first, which is just common etiquette.  That being said, I have asked him not to send anymore PMs and keep the discussion open on the site.

I will post more information shortly as I have to dial into a meeting for work.....

Offline 2Cool

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #79 on: November 26, 2013, 03:41:59 pm »
    Listen, we're all Indian Riders.  I think that making distinctions between us and owners that buy later on might be a big mistake, kinda like making them 2nd class citizens.  I'm all for a patch if that's what everyone wants but remember, there will be only 1901 "Originals" scattered across the country.  If we had 10,000 members of this site we'd probably have an annual event showing of maybe a couple of hundred.  I don't believe at this point it's a good idea to segment and possibly alienate future members.  Think about it.  Just saying.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. - Ernest Hemingway

One man with courage makes a majority. - Andrew Jackson

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #80 on: November 26, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »
    Listen, we're all Indian Riders.  I think that making distinctions between us and owners that buy later on might be a big mistake, kinda like making them 2nd class citizens.  I'm all for a patch if that's what everyone wants but remember, there will be only 1901 "Originals" scattered across the country.  If we had 10,000 members of this site we'd probably have an annual event showing of maybe a couple of hundred.  I don't believe at this point it's a good idea to segment and possibly alienate future members.  Think about it.  Just saying.

Good points.  8)
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline MotoRace

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #81 on: November 26, 2013, 05:31:22 pm »

I tend to agree.  We started this site for a few reasons...one because I love motorcycles (I've always had a love-affair with Indian and their history), two I had been contemplating getting one of the new bikes (not in the cards for me right now) and three there was a unfulfilled niche to have a forum specific to the new launch of bikes.  I know there are already sites out there, but they were specific to all Polaris bikes, older Indians, etc.

I am all for the club if someone wants to start it, but it feels like it is something that is going to compete directly with this site.  I offered to include it as part of the forum, but the common theme has been independence which is counter-intuitive to this site and I agree with you point of not segmenting users if possible.  That being said, I am up for putting to vote...the members make this site and I think it should be up to the group as a whole to decide how this should be handled.

Offline Hey Yu

• Full Member-10016
    • 2014 Indian Vintage Blue #1/111 Originals
    « Reply #82 on: November 26, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »

I tend to agree.  We started this site for a few reasons...one because I love motorcycles (I've always had a love-affair with Indian and their history), two I had been contemplating getting one of the new bikes (not in the cards for me right now) and three there was a unfulfilled niche to have a forum specific to the new launch of bikes.  I know there are already sites out there, but they were specific to all Polaris bikes, older Indians, etc.

I am all for the club if someone wants to start it, but it feels like it is something that is going to compete directly with this site.  I offered to include it as part of the forum, but the common theme has been independence which is counter-intuitive to this site and I agree with you point of not segmenting users if possible.  That being said, I am up for putting to vote...the members make this site and I think it should be up to the group as a whole to decide how this should be handled.
    And some members are not in North America, and have absolutely no chance of being in the 1901. Need to join a club, join IIRA.
    'The higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity.' -
    Nathaniel Branden

Offline MotoRace

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #83 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:32 pm »
    And some members are not in North America, and have absolutely no chance of being in the 1901. Need to join a club, join IIRA.

A very good point sir...

Offline MotoRace

• Full Member-10016
    « Reply #84 on: November 26, 2013, 06:15:52 pm »
    FYI, there have been some heated discussions coming out of this thread so if anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me and I will give you my cell phone number so we can chat.

Offline mototwin

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #85 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:16 pm »

When I first suggested a 1901 patch it was my thought to have a patch the would signify that you were one of the first to take the leap of faith in the new Indians.
    Although I appreciate the work Chieftan1400 has done trying to create a club I don't agree with the name "1901 Club" because the name could segregate us from the entire Indian community.

I think there is a definite need for a new Indian club that focuses on the new Indian because the entire bike is new and the issues and needs of the new Indian owners are completely different from those of the Vintage bike owners.
    It is still early and Indian's own Owners Site has not gone live at this point, so we don't know what Indian's plans are either. 

I think that eventually there will be a Indian club similar to HOG that would work closely with the company to support riders and promote the brand. We have time to plan and think about the options and this site is a great place to discuss the issues.  I have nothing against the VOG and other forums, but The Chief Forum is the only forum that is dedicated to the new Indian only and we should support this forum.
    Never ride faster than your angel can fly

Offline K2V2

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
      • Indian Motorcycle Riders Group of Northern New Jersey
    « Reply #86 on: November 26, 2013, 08:24:56 pm »

... but The Chief Forum is the only forum that is dedicated to the new Indian only and we should support this forum.

Indeed. This forum has been a great source of information for new owners. Thanks to all that contribute here.
    Kevin 
    Luceo Non Uro - Sparta Elks #2356 - IMRGNNJ Chapter 1910
    2016 Victory Vision Tour - Blue Fire
    2013 Victory Vision Tour - Sunset Red
    2008 Victory Vision Tour - Midnight Cherry

Offline Matt

• Super Moderators-5
    • Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #87 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »
    A ton of good dialogue coming from you guys... thanks for the input.

While I believe it is important to honor tradition and history, we are all here for one purpose. We love Indian motorcycles. I tend to side with 2Cool on this one, segmenting out the group for the purpose of making a special "club" for 1901 owners would alienate people... The forum is setup for people to exchange info, research mods and performance upgrades, and help people find friends to ride with. We have had a lot of great conversations started already and I for one wouldnt want to see anything happen to it.

But, we also know that this site is generated based on member input, so if we want to do something, we surely can do it. Just let us know how ya feel and we can work out some details.

Matt

Offline 133

• Hero Member-10018
    « Reply #88 on: November 27, 2013, 12:04:52 am »
    I agree with a lot of what mototwin has to say. I myself joined this site for two equally important reasons: (1) to share opinions and ideas on riding and maintaining my new Indian, and (2) to have a friendly atmosphere to spend a few quiet moments in the evening.  I think that everyone would agree that all of the members of this site should be equally invited to all corners of the site and that no group within the membership should try to set themselves apart from the rest.  However, I felt that the 1901 group was only trying to find common ground with other 1901 members and not trying to isolate themselves from other future Indian members.  Nevertheless, if the other members of this site believe that a 1901 group within the membership is not good for this site, then I would guess that a simple request to the organizers of the 1901 group to drop the idea is all that it would take to end the stress.

Offline Hey Yu

• Full Member-10016
    • 2014 Indian Vintage Blue #1/111 Originals
    « Reply #89 on: November 27, 2013, 01:57:39 am »
    I agree with a lot of what mototwin has to say. I myself joined this site for two equally important reasons: (1) to share opinions and ideas on riding and maintaining my new Indian, and (2) to have a friendly atmosphere to spend a few quiet moments in the evening.  I think that everyone would agree that all of the members of this site should be equally invited to all corners of the site and that no group within the membership should try to set themselves apart from the rest.  However, I felt that the 1901 group was only trying to find common ground with other 1901 members and not trying to isolate themselves from other future Indian members.  Nevertheless, if the other members of this site believe that a 1901 group within the membership is not good for this site, then I would guess that a simple request to the organizers of the 1901 group to drop the idea is all that it would take to end the stress.

Or have a thread/forum set up specifically for the 1901 owners.
    'The higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity.' -
    Nathaniel Branden